Dumbest critter on your homestead

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jen H, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Taking off on a thread I noticed at the Pig Forum:

By far the dumbest critters I have here are the guineas. I swear, they wander around looking for predators to throw themselves at. We started out with 27, I can positively account for 3 now. Entertaining buggers, but geesh! Compared to guineas, the ducks are geniuses.

2. OD

OD Well-Known Member

I can't argue with that! They are suicidal. When we used to live close to the road, mine would stand there waiting for a car to come so they could fly out in front of it. One morning, 8 flew out in front of a truck, & 7 died instantly & the other one died a while later.
    I don't understand how they have survived as a species.

3. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

4. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

I have to say guineas too!
    Mine will walk under the corral fence with their heads down, grazing. When they lift their heads and see that they are in the corral they think they are trapped and throw a fit.
    I've had them stay in there for hours until I open the gate. Sheesh!

Cute picture Lisa!

5. Merrique

Merrique Well-Known Member

I have also had some suicidal guineas here on the farm, but my real winners are my sheep. If my border collie is herding them back into the field, they will run themselves into the fence over and over again. The other day my dog scared one of the sheep so bad, she rammed her head into the fence with such force that she flipped her entire body over top of the fence and landed on the other side. It's probably a good thing they don't have to remember to breathe :rolleyes:

6. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Not having guinneas or sheep, I'd have to say it's Bubba, the dumbest dog on the planet. He is redbone/ridgeback cross, and a preditor killing machine, but he ignores the poultry so he earns his keep.

7. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

Well, my turkeys ain't right bright, but they look real smart next to the wild turkeys that come to visit. Last summer two of them got stuck in my neighbor's field behind a 4 foot cyclone fence. They spent a week and a half running back and forth along the fence calling to the turkeys that were outside. Then each night I would watch them fly 30 or 40 feet up into the trees to spend the night!!! When I just couldn't stand it anymore I went over and opened a gate for them. Just pathetic.
    Then there were the ducks that ran TOWARD a coyote.

8. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

ROFL on the guinneas!

The dumbest animal we ever owned was a white turkey named Dinner. Dinner would get so excited when he saw you that he'd run from where ever he was to get to you (he was sure everyone kept grain in their pockets.) One day Dinner saw me and came running, but I stepped behind a tree that he obviously didn't see. SMACK!

Another time he and the hens were out, and I went to toss some feed into their pen so I could put them up for the night. All the hens ran through the door, but Dinner missed it! I was standing on the outside of the pen, about 2 feet from the door and tossing grain in over the top. Dinner saw where I was throwing but forgot where the door was. He kept trying to run through the chicken wire, taking a running start and climbing about three feet up the wire, then falling back to the ground. I kept tossing in the food in until all the hens were inside, then had to pick up Dinner and show him the door. He was mad as a hornet, though, because he thought I was taking him away from the food! Stupid turkey. If I ever get another turkey I'll name it Stupid.

9. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

tinknal, that dog's smarter than you think. He keeps you keeping him around and lives a dogs life too! :happy:

10. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

ROTFL!

As a person who has or has had guineas, turkeys, ducks, sheep and dogs, I can REALLY appreciate this thread!

I had an Afghan Hound once who was a pretty dim bulb. When his ball rolled under the sofa, it was as it if had disappeared into another dimension ...

He also used to go into panic mode whenever an acorn fell from one of the oak trees surrounding our house, and 'pinged' on the aluminum awnings. That poor dog was a nervous wreck every fall; he never did figure out what was going on (or at least that it wouldn't hurt him!). :grit:

11. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Sometimes, I'm sure the most foolish animal around here is me.

Unlike the dog and cats, I get all in a dither over stuff I cannot change.

I work too hard and worry too much.

I miss the wisdom in a well-timed nap in a pool of sunlight streaming through the window. I forget the value of a good scritch and a cuddle when I'm feeling down.

I forget that all my needs are met by my loving Master, and that all I need do is follow His commands to be happy.

Yup, I'm probably the dumbest critter around...

Pony!

12. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I think Pony has the right idea. LOL. I work and work and buy food and build coops and fences and feed everyone and clean up after them. And they lay around in the shade and eat reaal good and just down right enjoy life while I work. Just doesn't seem fair sometimes.

OTOH

I get to eat THEM!!

13. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

The dumb wild bunny that got caught 2 nights running by my kitten. I rescued it those 2 nights, but when it got caught the 3rd night in a row and the dog joined in, it wasn't the fittest to survive.

14. cheekinlady

cheekinlady Member

Yup, it's definetly the Guineas!!!!!! Funny how they can fly over the fence to get out, but later run back and forth for hours ,trying to figure out how to get back in! :( I REALLY liked Pony's Remarks.............made me stop & think. Thank you

15. Arborethic

Arborethic Well-Known Member

All the dumbest critters on my homestead only have two legs, too...but they have hair instead of feathers. LOL....

16. wildwestwoman

wildwestwoman Well-Known Member

Most assuredly... that would be ME.

Suzi

17. skruzich

skruzich Well-Known Member

Dumbest one i have seen yet is a teenager

18. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

We have a great pyr that takes first prize over any animal I ever owned.

mikell

19. poppy

poppy Guest

Guineas aren't real good at math either. Mine will hatch out 12 or 14 eggs, but lose the little ones. They walk of into the weeds with momma, but when she comes back, she is always missing 1 or 2 and doesn't seem to notice. In a few days, the little ones are gone. If I try to catch the little ones to raise in a brooder, both guineas will try to scratch my eyes out.

20. buspete

buspete Well-Known Member

I vote for guineas for dumbest critter.

We lost several of them over the past week of rain and flooding when they were too dumb to come in out of the rain. Even the turkeys were smart enough to roost up under the shelter where they were high and dry, but not the guineas.

Did they decide to roost on the perch under the overhanging tin roof? Nope

Did they go into their crate that was heaped with nice dry hay? Nope

It apparently made more sense to them to huddle together in an 8" deep puddle.