Dumb Questions of a Greenhorn Considering Dairy Cattle :P

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by maplegrove, Feb 11, 2005.

1. maplegrove

maplegrove Member

I am looking into raising my own milk and yogurt, and I am wondering what is needed to raise some dairy cows. I know they used to do it with just the cows, a barn, some hay, a pail and milking stool, and a pitchfork :p, but I was wondering about health/sanitation concerns for the cows and the people (the basic ones), and if any equipment or something would be recommended. We live in Southern CA's prime dairy country, and I believe they raise Holsteins and Herefords among others, but I don't know much about breeds either.

2. JanO

JanO Well-Known Member Supporter

The best source of information your going to get is from this site...http://www.real-food.com/ Joann Grohman has put together a wonderful book called Keeping a Family Cow that you can order direct from her off of the site. It's easy to read, and to the point. There is also a discussion forum that is full of information and a lot of wonderful people that are very knowlegeable. They love to help, and offer advice. That is definatly where to start.

Where in Calif. are you? You mentioned that your in prime dairy country, but in this state, that can be anywhere south of the Sierra Mt's.
    :rolleyes:
    Jan

3. farmy

farmy Well-Known Member

You might want to start by reading The Family Cow, by Dirk VanLoon.

4. shelbynteg

shelbynteg Well-Known Member

I have a cow, but also milk goats. You might explore that, much smaller investment, smaller milk output, and delicious milk. Cows can be overwhelming, when they produce 7+ gallons a day...