Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 15 Posts

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay - sorry for asking such a dumb questions but..... I am trying to decide whether or not to get a dairy cow and I am in the process of researching cost and the whole thing. I was looking on Lehman's today and saw a hand crank butter churn - $125! Do you really need a butter churn or can you use like a KitchenAid mixer with one of it's attachments? Not that those are much cheaper but I hate kitchen gadgets and that one is a little more multi-purpose.

Also, I live in Oregon and from what I understand, you can't sell raw milk. Are there ways around this? What's everyone else out there doing with all of their milk?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Carla

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bantams - I sent you a private message - not sure if you rec'd it. I would love to see what the "cowshare" form looks like. Also - what type of food processor do you use and is there a certain attachment that you use. I've never used a food processor.

Both you and Mullers have great websites - wonderful pictures - such beautiful animals. :)

I just ordered "Keeping a Family Cow". I've heard such great things about that book. Other than reading a book - where is a good place for a someone who knows little to nothing about dairy cattle to start? I've tried finding someone in my area w/a dairy cow but haven't found anyone yet. Like I said in my email to Bantams, I would gladly go and help someone in exchange for a little first hand knowledge.

Carla

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bantams - I looked into the Jersey Directory website and found two dairys very near where I live. I couldn't believe it!!! I'm going to email them and see if I can come out and talk to them and see their operation.

"Did you read the article by Jo Robinson about me on the Products/Prices page?"
*****I haven't read that article but I will. I was just doing a regular internet search for daity farms in the pacific nw - that was how I found your site.

Ken - I laughed when you said something about selling well water. The realtor that found us this property (She owns 5-7 acres herself with well water) came to our home in the city to fill out some paperwork. I offered her a glass of ice water and she refused to drink it. She even asked me if I thought my water was safe to drink because it had such a strong bleach smell to it. I never really noticed it until we moved out here with well water - Lovin' it!!! With all the things I can sell - I could almost quit my job!!! =) Ok - maybe not but almost!

Thanks for your help everyone!

Carla

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm in Molalla Oregon which is SE of Portland - very near Canby and Mulino, Oregon - I found a few dairies there through the Jersey site you told me about. Monument is about 5 -6 hours from where I am. The one in Skamokawa, WA is only about 2 1/2 hrs away - Do you have an email address for them?

Thanks again :)
Carla

1 - 4 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.