Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may not be the correct forum, but here goes.

How does one "Organically" cook a vegetable?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
There are no dumb questions.

I suppose, if say a restaurant was saying they use only organic ingredients and only cook their ingredients 'organically'. They might be referring to the fact that they only use 'organic' ingredients in all their cooking methods.

For instance, organically cooked organic broccoli. Our organically cooked broccoli is cooked in a broth briefly consisting of organic seaweed, organic bay leaf, and salt and pepper.
That's all I got.

·
Premium Member
6,622 Posts
Personally, I think they are trying to take the "Organic" thing a bit too far. Whenever the latest "buzzword" goes public, some will try to "one-up" everyone else to try and make their product seem superior. I don't think they know the meaning of the word. Sort of reminds me of "Decadent" chocolates. Those are chocolates that are beginning to go rancid or rotten.

"Organic" means that it is derived from living organisms. If you are "cooking organic" all it means is that you are cooking food. If not, you are boiling a pot of chemicals. Isn't that what the meth heads are doing? Is that why they look the way they do? I guess in that sense, organic is better.

I suppose that once you dump salt into your pot of broccoli, it's no longer cooked organically because salt is a chemical.

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,913 Posts
I suppose to some people it does make a difference. If you take organic food and then use regular cooking oil derived from GMO plants to saute it in, some people wouldn't want to eat it. So if someone told me it was organically cooked, I would assume that any and all ingredients used in the preparation were also organic, even oils, herbs, seasonings. It would be next to impossible to do, though. Really would limit your ingredients.

Reactions: Kmac15

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
and you cant use a electric appliance to cook with. electicity aint organic, and t needs to be cooked in palm leaves or a clay pot.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
I think they're talking about utensils & storage containers (no plastics) - pots and pans (non-reactive, like glass, no nonstick coatings), no silicon spray, plastics, or aluminum foil) - all like that. Some folks are hinky about microwaved food, I suppose that too. Wood fire grill instead of gas.

And yes, all ingredients are considered food, spices aren't that difficult to get organic. As for salt, it's elemental, my dear. Organic salt would be without additives, sea or land mined.

Organic has long been the hype for everything - but sometimes there IS a method to the madness. It's really just a way to avoid adulterated food.

Then there's the raw food crowd - they "cook" fish in citrus juice, heat is verboden, as part of their organic style.

So, not a dumb question - it's just loosey goosey and depends on what you can see for yourself pretty much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts