Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the Kitchen Queen Woodstove, when it is time to clean out the ash pan, can you clean it out with a fire going and just let the ash fall to the lower shelf or does the fire have to be out?

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
I'll clean out the ash tray on my stove while it's burning, but you HAVE to be sure you use nothing but metal, and be sure to put the ashes where they won't start a fire outdoors.. I dump mine on the dirt road in front of the house..

Try to leave the door open as little as possible so they fire doesn't get too much oxygen as you take the pan out to dump it.. Also be VERY careful not to drop any ashes on the way out..

After I pull the pan and dump it, I then take a shovel and clean the ash that didn't hit the pan, and anything that fell while I had the pan out...

Once I have a cold stove, I'll take a vac to it and clean it out really good..

Reactions: Bubbas Boys

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
In some parts of the country, people still refer to metal garbage cans as "ash cans." There is a reason for that. Word of warning - the ash can will hold hot embers for DAYS because the ash acts as an insulator. Wait three days before dumping the ash near anything flammable, and keep the ash can on a masonry surface.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Save the wood ash for your garden. I work it into the soil before planting. Excellent for peas. I only do it for peas, though. Haven't tried it with the other vegies.

·
Premium Member
41,136 Posts
Save the wood ash for your garden. I work it into the soil before planting. Excellent for peas. I only do it for peas, though. Haven't tried it with the other vegies.
Its great for taters too. After milling all the lumber while building our house, I piled all the scraps (slabs and bark) and sawdust in a huge pile in one corner of the garden and burned it all. I plowed the garden as I normally did, and turned all those ashes under. The next year you could tell exactly where that burn pile had been.... the taters were about triple the size in that area than the rest of the garden. :)

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
Be sure you know what the pH is on your garden before adding ash. Not every garden has acid soil and needs the ash.
Thank you Alice. That old wive's tale really needs updating.

·
Banned
10,456 Posts
Try putting the confirmed cold ash into feed sacks foul the top over and lay in an area where you would love a steeping stone.

Rain water and time .....as in months not eons will turn that mass in to a great rich sub.

The sack rubbing with walking on it wears away. People think I sunk.in small flat top boulders.. this was discovered by accident as I left a feed sack close to my gate it snowed and was discover in the spring flooding it was solid and above the standing water.

·
Banned
10,456 Posts
Try putting the confirmed cold ash into feed sacks foul the top over and lay in an area where you would love a steeping stone.

Rain water and time .....as in months not eons will turn that mass in to a great stepping stone.

The sack rubbing with walking on it wears away. People think I sunk.in small flat top boulders.. this was discovered by accident as I left a feed sack close to my gate it snowed and was discover in the spring flooding it was solid and above the standing water.
Sometimes auto correct does not read my mind very well

1 - 10 of 10 Posts