Dumb (?) Question On Feeding Hay

Discussion in 'Goats' started by cayenne47, Oct 30, 2006.

1. cayenne47

cayenne47 Critter Mama Supporter

Do goats need the roughage from alfalfa hay or are pellets just as good for them? Hay has gone up to over $200 a ton here.

2. Kshobbit

Kshobbit Well-Known Member

Goats do need the roughage from hay But... it does not need to be alfalfa hay. any good quality nonmoldy hay will work and then you can give the alfalfa pellets to increase the protein. I did it often when I was milking and could not get decent alfalfa. I was told that Brome hay was a good substitue for alfalfa. I feel your pain on the price of hay. We are having a drought and I was very fortunate to get 150 bales of praire hay. If it doesn't rain here, there will be no hay next year. :Bawling:

3. needstoknowmore

needstoknowmore Rattlin Rock Ranch

I only feed grass hay, but unless you have forage, I would feed some type of hay. But I do think there are some people that feed only pellets. I expected our hay prices to go up this year, but was lucky who I got it from they didn't. And I do not think there are dumb questions!!!!!!!!

4. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm not sure what the climate is like by you during the winter, but if there is still green stuff for them to eat and they spend the day on pasture and browse, they should get adequate roughage and the alfalfa pellets will suffice. If not, I'd feed grass hay and alfalfa pellets.