Dumb Hay Question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mygrayfarm, Nov 22, 2003.

1. mygrayfarm

mygrayfarm Well-Known Member

Hi, folks!

If anyone is on the board now...

We are having some hay delivered later this AM. I was going to pull the remaining bales out of the hay shed and put them in on top of the new stuff, so the old gets used first. Some more experienced farmers have said not to bother - the hay will stay good for a long time and I'm just making work for myself (well, for my hubby.)

Current hay is about 1 year old, about 15 bales left so it will last the alpacas a couple months. I know you guys will tell me straight - what do you advise?

Thanks!

2. Farmall

Farmall Active Member

well, as for year old hay, if kept good and dry, the oldtimers are right. It wont bother anything, but deending on how your sensibilities are, if you keep doing the same practicer of replacing your hay before the last of it is used up, then next year at this time, that hay will be 3 yrs old, and the year after that 3. Myself, I probably would feed the old hay first if I was your age, might even do it now, but if you want, u can splt the difference. Feed 5 of the 15 this year, and do so each succeeding year. That way, if you keep replacing the hay before its completly used up, your at least feeding some of the old stuff each year.

3. Okie-Dokie

Okie-Dokie Well-Known Member

Bill's right. Doesn't make much differance as long as it is cured out good and don't get wet or get to smelling musty. Okie, from right around where Bill is. I do like to feed my old hay first. We feed round bales, lots easier and if we have to buy hay, we try to buy by the ton.

4. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

15 bales isn't a lot of bales to move out of the way. i would feed the old bales first. it will keep, but we like to keep in the habit of not letting old hay stay in the barn too many years.

5. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Hay will loose vitamins with storage, it's 15 bales not 1500 I'd shift them out of the way and put it on top to be fed first.

6. mygrayfarm

mygrayfarm Well-Known Member

Thanks, folks, I'm going out to pull the bales now. But I won't stress if the hay guy gets here and there are a few left in the shed (BTW, brand new shed with shingle roof and dry as a bone.)

I'm also going to rig up a cleat and rope so we can store the straw (for bedding) in the loft of the barn and lower it down on a rope. I'm pretty new to all this stuff - it will be interesting to see how my concept works (or doesn't!)

Theories are beautiful things - reality is something else. I find myself having to "drop back and punt" quite a bit.

Thanks for your help! You've all done your good deed for the day.