dumb girl question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by stirfamily, Oct 6, 2004.

1. stirfamily

stirfamily Well-Known Member Supporter

Can anyone give me step by step instructions on putting a tube in a tubeless tire? I have a garden cart that has a flat and am getting tired of pumping up the tire everytime I need to use it.

Thanks!
    Karen in NE Indiana

2. angus_guy

angus_guy Well-Known Member

Have you tried "Green Slime" Good stuff Put valve stem up between 9 and 12 oclock and put in the slime air up as usual

Even with dry rotted tires this stuff works well......

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    1 Remove the tire from the axel makeing sure you do not lose bearings or spacers.
    2.Gather a lubrication such as a 5 parts water to1 part mix of dish soap, a valve stem tool, a pair of flatrods or long flat screwdrivers.
    3. Notice if the rim has more space on one side or the other conserning the distance from where the bead sets to the area where the bolts or lug nuts contact. Allways use the smaller side if there is one.
    4 Remove the valve stem core.
    5.Collapse both sides of the tire towards the middle.
    6. Place the tire on a flat strong surface at a good height for you to be comfortable, push down into the grooved portion in the rim the side of the tire nearest to you, place your flat tool into the tire on the opposite side of the tire and prythe tire up over the rim. This is usualy done in portions until about half of the perimeter is off the rim, useing each tool in rotation.
    7. Once youhave got one side off, reach in and cutthe valve stems soft rubber inside, remove the piece.
    8. Now insert the tube and its valve stem into its hole,secure the stemwith the 4 way valve stem tool by screwing it over the stem its self. This prevents the stem from pulling back inside when you are returningthe tire to the rim.
    9 Again place the tire into the rim groove and in portions again return it to the mounted position.
    10. Hold the stem firmly while inflateing so it does not pull back inside due to twisted tube placement.

11. Return tire to axel and fasten as needed.

Be aware this takes a very strong pair of hands and wrists, use the lub freely, the soap will hurt nothing. Be careful you do not pinch the tube when prying the tire back onto the rim. And check inside the tire when it is half off the rim for sharp objects, remove any that are found before returning to insert the tube.

4. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

If the rim is messed up due to rolling it with a flat tire, I would just go to TSC or Northern Tool and buy a whole new tire and rim. They're surprisingly cheap. Of course, at my age I usually take the easiest way out. :rolleyes:

5. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

Step one...find a good man. :)

Just Kidding. Depending on the shape of the tire and how bad it is you might want to just think about a whole new wheel. Also, sometimes you can get places like Les Schwab to help you do it and last time they didn't charge me for it.

BlessedMom

6. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

See Karen, wasn't that simple. Or you could take it to a tire shop.

7. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

Couldn't firgure out how to use the Gren Slime stuff, and took barrow and all to the filling station-garage mechanic. He messed with it for a while, muttered something under his breath, and voila. Cost was cheap, as I'd STILL be trying to insert the slime, and that was 3 years ago. I'd go with the slime and take it to the tire guy or the car guy, since even with an inner tube, the tire can go flat. Nails, big thorns, whatever. Good luck.

8. stirfamily

stirfamily Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the detailed instructions Moopups but didn't realize it was so involved so I have decided to take BlessedMom's advice and just wait for my good DH to do it.

Karen in NE Indiana

9. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

I knew guys were good for something! Just kidding! Good directions, Mitch, and I'm going to print them off and save them, IN CASE I have to do it someday. Otherwise, I'm for using the slime, too. Some times you have to do things like you live alone, the easiest way! Jan in Co

10. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

if you have a husband....

place a pillow and a blanket on the couch with a note.

"present this coupon and one fixed tire for admittence to the bedroom"