Dumb Corn Seed Question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by floramum, Jul 3, 2006.

1. floramum

floramum Well-Known Member

Some Friends Brought Me A Bag Of Corn From The Farmers Market In Another State. If I Let An Ear Of Corn Dry Out Hard, Can I Plant The Kernels And Will They Sprout And Make Corn? Or If I Freeze An Ear Of Corn Then Thaw It And Let It Dry Out Hard, Will It Do As Seed Corn?

Sure Will Appreciate An Answer. I Have Never Planted Corn Before As A Crop. Cant Find Any Seeds Locally.

Thanks.

Mum

2. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

You need to let the ear mature and dry out on the stalk if you want to plant it. It would also be good if you knew what variety of corn it is that you have. If it's an open-pollinated variety you can plant it with no problems. If it's a hybrid you can still plant it, but you may have a wide variance in the stalk height, ear length, and etc. If the lack of consistency doesn't bother you, it won't hurt to plant it and see what happens.

3. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

seed corn is usually dried on the stalks. Sweet corn is usually picked while still slightly immature. If you dry it out and plant it, some may germinate. Then you want to know what kind of corn it is. Is it open pollinated, hybrid or genetically enhanced corn. If it is an open polinated variety, the seed will grow corn plants that produce seeds like you planted. If it is one of the others, it will either not grow at all, or grow something entirely different.