dumb construction type question...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by june02bug, Jan 21, 2004.

1. june02bug

june02bug Well-Known Member

I want to build a wall in my shed dividing it into two sections. Question is: How do you attach the wall frame to the concrete floor? Thanks!

2. edjewcollins

edjewcollins Well-Known Member

Several types of fasteners will work which are available at any big box or hardware type store. Tapcon concrete screws, lag bolts and shields or drive pins. All involve drilling a hole with a masonry bit. Tapcons just screw in and grab the concrete like a screw. Lagbolts expand the lag shield to lock in the bolt and drive pins look like a mushroom with a nail sticking out the top. When you put it in the hole and drive in the pin it spreads and locks in place.

Ed

3. Kung

Kung Administrator Staff Member Supporter

You can also do it with a concrete nailgun. What it is, is a handheld unit that uses what's essentially a .22 shotgun charge to 'shoot' the nail into the concrete. We used it when we were installing wood floors in my dad's house. It's pretty smooth. However, if you use one, wear some safety glasses and earplugs. It goes 'bang' just like a .22 gun. :p

4. CountryBound

CountryBound Member

Several ways depending on what's available in your area. Most will need a drill and masonary bit to drill a hole through the wood and deep enough into the concrete to install a thunder bolt or red head, this will give you a threaded stud sticking through the bottom plate of the wall to put on a washer and nut. There may also be other systems available in your area but these seem to be the most common around here. Jeff

5. Since this will be a light weight partition wall that is non-load bearing, I'd simply clean the concrete floor, put down construction adhesive, then place the framing. I'd then use hardened nails (sometimes called concrete nails), and drive a few to keep the plate from sliding around until the adhesive sets properly. You should use treated lumber for the plate since it will be on moisture bearing concrete.

Be sure to wear safety glasses when driving the hardened nails. Heads sometimes break off, and sometimes the nails themselves will break.

6. Doug

Doug Member

Even though a ramset (the gun thing that uses 22 cal. loads) would be the fastest and easiest. It isn,t worth buying for a do it yourselfer . Tapcons are the way to go usually when you buy them the drill bit you need is in the box. For shear strength (sp) i would diffently use some kind of fastener.

7. leland

leland Member

You might want to use a hammer drill when drilling into concrete. Very fast.
    I would use the tapcon method mentioned above with construction glue.
    Good luck
    Lee

8. june02bug

june02bug Well-Known Member

Thanks for all of the options. Now I can go back to my planning.