Dumb, but Excited

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by midkiffsjoy, Mar 31, 2006.

1. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

Okay.......I'm too happy.

As it turns out the gentleman who taught me how to sex rabbits is a complete idiot. He taught me to look for the little spots on either side of their genitals, said they were balls and that any rabbit having them were boys. Well it turns out ALL rabbits have little spots on either side of their genitals and I've had a breeding trio all along. (Yeah I feel stupid)
    HOWEVER....Today I bought two junior does and a bred doe. Then when I checked the rabbits I already have and found the doe (the nice lady I bought the rabbits from taught me how to CORRECTLY sex rabbits...cause you know getting it right is half the battle) I put her in the cage with my buck and he "fell in love". Now I have two bred does, and two junior does. I'm SO excited. After trying to start with rabbits for two years (I keep losing rabbits to preditors) I will FINALLY get to have kits!!!!! HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY DANCE !!!!!!

2. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

3. midkiffsjoy

Thank you Maggie! You dont have something like that for turkeys, do you??? grin.

p.s. I'm gonna show this to dh so he learns too! grin.

4. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Hey, turkeys aren't too hard once they reach sexual maturity. All our toms do is strut and the hens wander around looking like lovesick heifers. :p

You can also sex rabbits by holding a washer on a string over them and depending on how it swings, that'll tell you if it's male or female. :p Yeah right. Someone posted a message on one of my rabbit email lists talking about how she'd gotten a really nice doe cheap because the breeder used that "method" and was wondering why his "buck" wasn't interested in does.

Actually, once a male rabbit has reached sexual maturity, he has two nearly hairless scrotal sacks on either side of his anus (one on each side). Pretty obvious. Sometimes you can also tell by secondary sex characteristics: broad, wide-jowled face. Often not accurate, but once you've been dealing with a family line of rabbits for a while, you start noticing stuff like that. Female rabbits often have larger dewlaps, or folds of skin under their chins.

5. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Okay, while we're on this topic... Do male rabbits have nipples? I read (somewhere) that they don't and it seems to check out with my rabbits, but recently someone posted that males do/can have nipples. So I'm asking... do they or don't they?

6. midkiffsjoy

Im gonna have to go look now....I know my buck goats have nipples, but Ive never looked on rabbits.
    The nice lady who sold me the bred doe was nice enough to show me what an adult buck and a doe in heat look like. I have to admit.....they dont look ANYTHING like that when they are juniors. I think most of us start out with kits or juniors as opposed to adults, so it was an awesome learning experience for me. grin.

I dont know about rabbits but when I was pregnant I tried the mix powder drano with urine to see what color it turns to know if its a boy or girl thing. Arent hormones and interesting thing??? Kinda brings chemistry home. giggle.

7. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

Awhile back, I did an article on naked rabbits (e.g., rabbits born with the furless gene). The owner of a totally naked male rabbit sent me some photos for reproduction purposes, and it was *VERY* obvious that the little buck had nipples... as well as being obvious that it was a male, too. Why wouldn't male rabbits have nipples? All mammals have nipples. Just goes to show that there's still bad information out there.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/
    Chairperson, ARBA Commercial Department Committee
    http://www.arba.net/

8. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Yeah, male rabbits DO have nipples. The teats on a male rabbit are usually a lot smaller than a female's and some folks just might not notice them. Next time you have a newborn litter, try looking at their little bellies. You should see nipples on every one if you look close enough. :)

9. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

Someone I know says that one of the best times to sex kits is when they are a day old, so that the hair doesn't get in the way. Now, he was vet tech in a former life so he probably knows exactly what he's doing. I've found it's easiest to wait until they are about 6 weeks or so and then it's easy when that penis pops out. :)

Jennifer

10. midkiffsjoy

Giggle....It sure helped when I found out that I should just ignore whats on either side of the rabbits pity, and just look at the pity. grin.