Dumb bunny question

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Tonya, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Tonya

Tonya Guest

I should state that I don't raise rabbits or haven't eaten one in a LONG time. I do, however enjoy the few that run around the yard.

The other day while on my walk I watch a rabbit run ahead of me. I noticed how his back legs were working in tandem-they both move at the same time. My question: Can rabbits move without having their back legs move in tandem? Can they walk or is it always hopping? Do they have the physiology to do this?

Does this make sense?

(Crawls back under her rock)

THANKS!

2. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

When their just walking or moving around the cage their rear legs can work independently, when their running or moving more quickly the rear legs work together. Their back legs tend to move together more than separately.

3. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

My observation: the closer a rabbit is to the "wild" standard (and for domestic rabbits, that means the wild European rabbit), the more ability they have to use their back legs independently. The rabbits I've seen that are closer in conformation to the wild standard can walk using the back legs independently quite well (looks kind of like they're "creeping"), though their usual tendency is of course to hop (using both front and back legs together). Some of the rabbits I've seen that are bred pretty far away from the wild standard (think Netherland Dwarfs, minilops, etc.) don't appear to be able to do this. I had a dwarf lop who may as well have had her back legs glued together; she could not move them independently hardly at all.

I don't think it's a dumb quesion - I think it's interesting!

4. Tonya

Tonya Guest

Thanks!! I KNEW the pro's here would know!!!

5. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

lmao, not a stupid question, I wondered before I had rabbits. Mine have gotten quite good at it, because we have a low wooden tunnel for them. It's too low for them to hop, their back would hit the top, so they tip-toe through it. Very cute :)