Dug out a new pond

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by elgordo, Sep 1, 2006.

1. elgordo

elgordo Well-Known Member

We just re-dug a pond. I'd like to stock it with fish next year; I 'm thinking of tilapia or bluegill. Anybody out there with experience? Sorry I can't give you exact specs on acre feet of water, but it's about 12 feet at it's deepest. It seems to be holding water well since it's the middle of a hot dry summer and it's got about 5-6 feet of water in it from a nearby seep.

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    There is not a lot of info here, just an occasional post conserning this subject. One member did have success with fresh water shrimp, just run the words through the search feature to see the posts.

3. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Look at hybrid green sunfish. They get large and being sterile won't over populate a pond. Many reports of them getting to 3+ pounds. Tilapia won't handle cold.

4. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

Here's a good link for you:

http://www.pondboss.com/

On the left, go to "Ask the Boss" for a forum that discusses nearly every issue that a pond owner might have. Good luck.

5. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd contact your county agent. I know here they'll actually come out and measure the acreage and depth and give you a nice little report on what and how much to stock. You can actually pick and choose the fish you want to raise and they'll give you a schedule and calendar for stocking.

6. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

I raise freshwater shrimp in my pond. The aquanic.org site has a lot of info about fish, good luck to you and let us know how it goes. :)