Duallies on a van?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by farminghandyman, Aug 11, 2005.

1. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

You might need fender extensions to keep the unit legal.also you need to check the clearences of the tires against the framework.

2. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Are you sure you even need to modify it? Assuming the average passenger weighs 150 pounds (probably low balling) so the van can readily handle over one ton. If you take out the seats (weight removed there also), likely what you add back for Rving won't exceed the weight capability. I don't see road sway as a problem. When parked, just use some of those fairly inexpensive camper stabilizer jacks.

3. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if it has a full floating rear end, I'll have to research that.

Thanks for the link, it is very helpful.

I was thinking of building something like these plans:
    http://www.glen-l.com/campers/wildwood.html and since I will cut off the body and make a wider body, I thought the duals would make it more stable. I was watching today as I drove, the tourists are here thicker than flies this time of year, and they put some pretty huge RVs on van bodies. But of course they could have started with heavier truck frames and just used the van cab.

We have a couple of old wore out camp trailers to scavenge for appliances and windows, and an old mobile home for the skin.

4. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

A Dodge one-ton is obviously a very capable tow-vehicle. Around here, if you're willing to do even a bit of repairs and don't mind something a bit older, a decent 20' camp trailer can be had for very little coin.

cheers,

5. travis91

travis91 Formerly 4animals.

6. Grizz

Grizz Well-Known Member

U could put super singles on it! They are a wide tire that carys the same weight as duals I run them on my flatbed trailers and will b putting them on my truck tractor when its time to put on new tires They are cheaper then 2 tires