Dual wheels for compact 4wd tractor

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Arnold, May 31, 2004.

1. Arnold

Arnold Member

I have a KIOTE compact 4WD tractor and would like to put dual wheels on both front and rear. I hope this will help me get around better in muddy conditions in the woods. A problem I have is : Where do I search to find these dual wheels? Any suggestions?? Thank You

2. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Just a note - most compact makers do not suggest duals for a CUT tractor, as the axles are not built for it. Most esp,. _not_ for the front axle. If you have 4wd, I would not want to put them on the front. Those front bearings are not built for that wide a spread, and at $4000-5000 each for a rebuild.....

If you are out of warrenty, iy's your call on he rears, but I'd think real long & hard on doing that to the fronts....

--->Paul

3. I too would discourage duals, especially on an entry level tractor. The wheel bearings are not designed for them.
    What I would check into is wider rims and tires to give you more flotation.

4. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

I read about a guy who made tracks for his tractor. Instead of chains on the rear wheels he used "C" channel with chain links between and installed like regular chains. I think I have a link at home I'll add later. It was from a tractor board.

mikell

5. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

I expect dual on a small tractor would look pretty awesome. I agree with others that such a tractor would probably not handle the added stress. Would radial tires help and make enough difference?

Perhaps this class of tractor is what you need. They are called "mudders".
    http://www.iol.ie/~manister/tractortrouble/kubota6.html

6. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

First question is WHY? Back maybe but front? Usually you put duals on the rear to increase weight carrying ability. With a compact adding enough weight to require duals is more than likley going to be to much for a compact.

7. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

8. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Do you have turf thread or lug thread? Normally adding weight is the answer, water in the tires or wheel weights, ect. If the spinning is realy often you might be useing too high a gear for the conditions.