dual citizenship in canada

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by peri_simmons, Apr 26, 2005.

1. peri_simmons

peri_simmons Well-Known Member

We have land in New Brunswick and would like to know about duel citizenship so we can homestead our land there.

2. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

You'll get a variety of different answer and it would probably be better to contact the Canadian government or even visit their website to get the true information. It would be a shame for you to get misinformation and think you were following the rules and find out later you weren't.

3. affenpinschermom

affenpinschermom Well-Known Member

We have looked into this also. I found a good website. I can email it to you if you are interested. If you do decide to do this I'll be very interested to see how it works. Some of the questions I have had is, will we lose our social security? will we have to pay income tax in both countries on our retirement investments we have here, etc?

4. CODIACRCMP

CODIACRCMP Well-Known Member

Where in New Brunswick is your land? I live in Moncton and my homestead is going to be in Colepitts Settlement. Would love to trade ideas/items with a local.

Danny

5. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

The US does not permit you to have dual citizenship.

6. Wannabee

Wannabee Foggy Dew Farms

It does with several countries - I just don't know about Canada. Ireland, Israel are two countries for sure that you can have dual citizenship with. Good luck!

7. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Our sons have dual UK/US citizenship. We were told by the embassy that the US doesn't formally recognise dual citizenship (they simply think of our boys as American) but has no restriction against it.

8. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I disagree about the US not being allowed dual citizenship with Canada because I know Canadians that have dual citizenship with the US and I have family born in the US that have/had dual citizenship. I may be wrong but many of my cousins have dual citizenship and I believe that the US considers them US dominant or Canadian dominant (depending on the country they reside) but if they live in the US, as soon as they voted in an election, they establish their preference. I don't think that their time in the military had any impact on their status, it is only voting that can establish your choice of country.

9. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

10. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

My hubby is canadian, he got a job over here that an american could not fill. He is an engineer on Navy ships in Maine. As for the other way, the Canadian government has never given us any trouble about going over, I stayed there 7 months once. I think the limit is 6, though, before you have to run back. Isn't it great to be American? We are looking into land in NB for a goat farm, where are you?

BTW, we will all need a passport by 2008 to cross either border!

11. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Quote: "BTW, we will all need a passport by 2008 to cross either border!"

Yeah, and it'll be chipped too.

12. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

They can't chip me if they can't catch me!

13. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Yes, unfortunately the US does allow the vileness of dual citizenship.

One of the first despicable government practices to be abolished were I President.

14. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Quint, If you were ever to be president, I would be the first one at the border.

15. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Yeah, Liberty and the animating conquest for Freedom isn't for everyone. Well, don't let the door....well you know the rest ;)

16. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

All this is from two other posts of mine:

17. muggin_girl

muggin_girl Active Member

I am not sure what you mean by dual citizenship. In the true sense it is when you have one parent from each country and can then carry two passports. My daughter carries both a canadian and british passport.

Coming to canada, as long as you are not going to work, allows you to stay for six months on a vistors visa. You can apply for extentions at $75 a pop per person. They will usually give you a 3 month extention. While you are here you can't work, go to school or get any type of social service. You must also carry your id with you at all time. Hubby was fined $500 when they asked for id on the train and all he had was his library card. (he left his passport at home because we afraid of him losing it or having it stolen)

You can apply for landed immigrant status which allows you to keep your home citizenship. You have all the rights you just can't vote. But if you are arrested (even for something like DUI) they can deport you.

As they don't stamp your passport when you leave the country you can do what many people here do (I live on the MI border) they just hop over for the day and come back. I have heard that if you own property here you can apply for this special card. after a very detailed background check they give you what looks like a credit card and you swipe it and it lets you jump line on a lot of the hassle. Another thing you can do is what my friends did, they had their baby in canada....made everything a lot easier. (being you want kids :p)

the web site to check out is:

www.cic.gc.ca

also look at
    www.canadaone.org
    www.how2immigrate.net/canada
    www.cicnews.com
    www.faqs.org/faqs/by-newsgroup/misc/misc.immigration.canada.html
    www.immigration.ca