Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Once I was seven years old
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the DSL installed today. The installation tech configured the connection for the computers without running the Linksys router software disk. Should I reset the connection using the software or what? I told him I had the software disk for it, but he seemed to be in a hurry and configured it manually:grump:

·
Voice of Reason
53,231 Posts
There's really no reason to use the software. Linksys routers configure just fine with a web browser.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I also see no need for the software. Just an annoyance. I know people who have linksys routers and use the software...total PITA. I've never run across a router that you HAVE to use their software for proper configuraion.

·
Voice of Reason
53,231 Posts
I've never run across a router that you HAVE to use their software for proper configuraion.
That's true for contemporary residential routers, but I used to have a commercial Cisco router that required interface software. It depends on the router.

**Edited to Add**

Oops! I just looked. It was an Intel router. Whatever...

·
Registered
387 Posts
That's true for contemporary residential routers, but I used to have a commercial Cisco router that required interface software. It depends on the router.
hmmm...I learn something new everyday. I don't go down the whole commercial route..so I'm pretty dumb in those areas. I'm sure I could learn...just need to find more time. :)

·
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm new to routers, so I guess I was just wondering if the software helped with protecting access to the wireless signal (should we switch over to wireless adapters in the future) and if the router firewall was automatic or configured through the software.

·
Registered
916 Posts
The software that comes with the router will not protect the wireless signal

But you can turn off the SSID so that it doesn't broadcast the name of the network (If they can't see it, they won't know it's there). You then secure it with a WAP or WEP key and then you can go even further with a MAC address filter.

This is Wireless 101. Doing this will keep the honest people honest. These steps WILL not guarantee that nobody can get in. It's called war driving. More on that here> http://www.wardrive.net/

·
Registered
606 Posts
But you can turn off the SSID so that it doesn't broadcast the name of the network (If they can't see it, they won't know it's there).
I've found that some wireless management utilities (Dell's software comes to mind) don't support access to wireless networks with no SSID broadcast. Just something to consider before you switch it off. Additionally, it's pretty easy for an attacker to get around a disabled SSID, which kind of makes the potential connectivity problems when doing it more of a hassle than it's worth.

If the only motivation is to keep honest people honest, all that is likely necessary is to be sure that you have WPA enabled. If you're really worried about the dishonest people, the only method I know of to really ensure wireless security is to tunnel in using SSH, but that's fairly advanced stuff. WEP can be cracked in a matter of seconds using readily available tools. WPA is better, but still not bulletproof. It is, IMO, the best current method of ensuring security for a casual home user. Be sure to use a strong key when setting it up.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
The software that comes with the router is for configuration only. has nothing to do with the operations of the router once running. MOst routers have a web based interface that can do the samethink as the software.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yes...please enable WPA! It annoys me when people complain about someone using their wireless internet and I ask "Do you have WPA enabled or SSID turned off?" and they reply, "No...we didn't think we would need to use those security features." If your dumb enough to not enable security on your network, then you deserve to have your internet ''stolen''. My two cents... :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I wouldn't use the software, but I would try to get on the router and make a backup of the settings, if you get a few power blips a router can dump your dsl settings.
You'll be able to get things going yourself and save a truck roll from your provider if you can do that.

·
Voice of Reason
53,231 Posts
The software that comes with the router is for configuration only.
Yes, it can help with some fundamental configuration tasks. The software can help scan for the router if you can't find it. You can also manually change the IP address (and therefore the IP address range) so that your computer can see it. But for standard configuration chores with a router that you can find, just use the web browser.

·
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found the address to login to the router to configure. I guess that's where I was confused, in how to enable/disable features without the software. Found out how to do it through google search. Think I'm all set now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts