Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Zone 7B
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after spending the weekend talking with DS about his educational options and his REAL LIFE choices that need to be made - we apparently have gotten through to him!!! :) (It was amazing~~)

He sent off several emails over the weekend to the Job Corps for more information and when he hadn't heard anything by 2 pm today, he called the national number and spoke with someone there...

They took all his information, and then transferred him to the LOCAL Admissions Office where he spoke to her for almost 1/2 hour.... He had a list of questions that were a concern for him.....

1) His ADHD --- would it disqualify him? How would it be treated while he was there? Cost? Medical, dental and vision are free while attending school, His ADHD is NOT a problem, they offer special help for people with this sort of disability and they have an on staff doctor at their campus who will treat him for the entire time he is there!!! :) This was a huge concern for him because his meds alone cost $100 each month without insurance!

2) The fact that he homeschooled and is now getting his GED from a community college.... They want his test results from the local community college but I don't have to include any homeschooling records - (he does have an "official looking" transcript tho we might include) He will be able to TAKE the GED test ($100 through the college - FREE THROUGH JOB CORP) once he gets to the facility!!! :)

3) What does the waiting list look like? The waiting list is anywhere from 1-6 months - but she said every facility was different but since we already know what facility he NEEDS to attend for Protective Services/Security work, we are ahead of the ballgame and will know where he sits on the waiting list when we go in for his interview in 2 weeks!!!

She was very personable and friendly.... he was very comfortable answering her questions and asking about things... A confidence I haven't seen in him -- He is VERY EXCITED about this and plans to attend the local community college until they enroll him in Job Corp.... that way he can take the GED test upon entering JC and then immediately begin his vocational training!!

He met ALL the qualifications (and we can VERIFY everything) and since he is drug/alcohol free with no criminal history, she was very optimistic that his application could be processed very quickly!!! :)

I am thrilled with this turn of events.... What a difference one weekend/one suggestion can make in the course of a young man's life!! This will definitely give him a purpose and direction for his life!!!

·
Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK
3,306 Posts
Oh that is just such awesome news! Your boy is becoming a man! He did all of this on his own. You should be very proud of him. He made an opportunity for himself. I am sure he will go far!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Way to go! I didn't post on the other thread but I did read it. Not only should you be proud of him, but I bet he feels pretty good about himself too.

That's a big step, maturity wise, for him to do this. Hope it all works out well for him.

·
Zone 7B
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He is feeling confident because of several things that have happened in recent months......

1) he has had experience with the public transit system so he will be able to get around near his school when he is "out" of school..... and won't be intimidated by the transit system in a large city!!! :)

2) He has his own checking/savings account and he will be able to deposit his $$ every 2 weeks directly into his account and be able to save as much as he needs and have his debit for whatever he needs!

3) Transportation to come home to visit (1 1/2 hours north of us) is no more than 15 minutes away... He will take Greyhound for his planned visits and vacations.... :)

4) He will be actively working towards his career goal of being in law enforcement - (he always wanted to, but literally had no idea where to start!)

5) Its a smaller setting than the larger community college so he is sure that he will be able to meet and make friends easily..... (for him, this is a big confidence booster!)

I can't believe how excited I am for him!! I know that I get frustrated with him and sometimes am worn out by him... but right now, I am so very proud of him and so very proud of his decisions.... He informed us that "FAILURE is not an option"! (He's a "what if" kid if I ever saw one.... so this was a HUGE statement for him!)

I am a very proud Momma tonite!

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
W2G!!! Good for him. The CCC is also very good experience, one of my cousins worked in the CCC (until he died at 21 years from an aneurysm) but, he found the experience very rewarding and was on his way to being a great leader from it.

·
Zone 7B
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NickieL said:
W2G!!! Good for him. The CCC is also very good experience, one of my cousins worked in the CCC (until he died at 21 years from an aneurysm) but, he found the experience very rewarding and was on his way to being a great leader from it.

Oh Nickie, I think I may have been misunderstood... I was referring to the local college... Chemekata community college.... when i used those initials.... I am sorry for the misunderstanding....

What is the CCC which you refer??

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
Oops... I should of realized...you are in Texas, duh :rolleyes: on me...

California conservation corp...

I guess my reading comprehension skills flew out the window today LOL

·
Zone 7B
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NickieL said:
Oops... I should of realized...you are in Texas, duh :rolleyes: on me...

California conservation corp...

I guess my reading comprehension skills flew out the window today LOL

Well, that no problem.... and just for the record... I am no longer in TX.... now home in Oregon.... but don't want to change my name since I have been here for 5 years as texastami.... (thats how long it takes me to get up to 1200+ posts!!) HA!

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
It's such a delight to not only hear that you're having a hoped for outcome for your son but that our tax dollars are going towards helping build a better future though well trained/schooled younger people. Made my day.

Hugs,
Marlene

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.