Drying Vegatables

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by big rockpile, Jun 7, 2006.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I'm thinking of fixing Drying Frames for drying Vegatables.Going to put them on my roof.

What is best way to keep them once dry?

How are they as far as taste?

Anything I should know as far as cooking them?

big rockpile

2. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

you save cooking time by soaking them first in cold water.
    We are planning to dry vegetables, should the garden produce well, in the van on stackable screens. I have dried fruit in the back of the station wagon before, works well. It depends where you are living, and how many flies are hanging around.

3. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

Make sure they are totally dry, first. Then freeze them for at least 3 days to kill any eggs or bugs that got into them. They should be good either in airtight baggies or foodsafe buckets/jars. Keep them in a dark, cool place, like a pantry.

Taste depends on how well you reconstitute and cook them. I've had broccoli that was somewhat rubbery(didn't soak enough)... but I guess that's more texture than taste.

Do you have plans for some drying frames? We'd like to make some this year, too, but haven't found any really easy to assemble plans yet.

4. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

We do it the new fashioned way with dehydrators. Used to let the sun do it and that is good too. If I am going to be around then the old wagon becomes the cooker. If not then it it electricity. I rotate the shelves occasionally for even drying. We expecially like pears/peaches/apples. Am going to try our hand at tomatoes this yr.

5. DenverGirlie

DenverGirlie Well-Known Member

We dired a bunch of tomatoes and herbs last year. Both in a homemade solar drier in the back yard, as well as inside on the dehydrator. Yummy!

6. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

Our summers are quite humid (takes clothes two days to dry on the line, if we're lucky) so we just purchased an electric dehydrator, and I've been reading up on dehydrating foods. The recommendation is to keep dehydrated foods in airtight containers in a dark, cool place such as a pantry. Sunlight and moisture are your enemies.

7. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

On the tightwad tips thread someone pointed out how to make a hanging one with string and netting (like those hanging shoe containers that go in your closet.