Drying Up Unevenly!! Not Good?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by xoxoGOATSxoxo, Aug 31, 2006.

1. xoxoGOATSxoxo

xoxoGOATSxoxo when in doubt, mumble.

As a rule, I only keep goats with lovely, even udders. (Except my pet Alpine!)
    The 2nd exception to this rule is a first freshener with a slightly lopsided udder. It's never bad, and doesn't bother me or her, until now. I really don't need the milk she is giving, so I've decided to dry her up before she would naturally. I don't like to save milk; I use it within a few days of it leaving the goat.

My problem is that since the udder is lopsided, the big side is drying up slightly slower. Instead of being uneven only on the bottom, as it previously was, it's now uneven on the back and the bottom. You can see where the 2 halves of the udder meet, on the back of her udder. I milked that side a little to try to even it up, but that was the mistake or the year. (one of them, anyway.) The next morning it had filled up to a little bigger than it was the night before, making the udder even more uneven.

What would you guys do?? :(

2. Carol in Mich

Carol in Mich Active Member

I'm bumping xoxoGoatsxoxo's post up because my doe also has very uneven udders, no doubt because I have been letting the buckling nurse and he prefers one side.

Am I hurting the doe by letting this continue? Is there something I should do about it?

Thanks

3. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

If your drying her up then it will eventually even out when she is dry.

4. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

You are only hurting the doe if you want her to have one dry side....she will dry up on the side that the buckling isnt nurseing from if you dont milk her out on that side. This is what I am doing with my Saanen Maisy...Lucy is drinking from one side and I milk her out of a morning....I get almost 2 litres from that side....it is usually really full of a morning. If I didnt milk her out on that side it would dry up. :)