drying off doe

Discussion in 'Goats' started by simplestyle, Apr 2, 2006.

1. simplestyle

simplestyle Active Member

Could someone please tell me what is the best way to dry off a doe. Should I skip a milking a day? or should I not milk her out all the way at the milkings? I wasn't sure what works the best. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Britt

2. Delinda

Delinda Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a friend who raises dairy goats, she has over 100, Her advice is to milk only once a day for the first week and do not milk her out all the way. The second week milk her every other day leaving more milk in the udder than last week. The third week milk only enough to relieve her if needed. She should stop producing milk soon after this. I just bought a alpine that I want to dry up and this is what she told me.

3. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I just stop milking. The fullness of the udder is what triggers them to stop producing milk. If they seem really engorged I will milk about a cup out of each side after a couple of days. I usually just stop & cut out all grain & keep an eye on them.

4. simplestyle

Thanks a lot for the advice Delinda and Wendy. I was just concerned about stopping too fast. I didn't want her to be too uncomfortable.
    thanks
    Britt

5. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

Britt,
    Why would you want to dry her up so early in the season?
    I agree with both of the prev. posts. We've done it both ways, no problems either time. By milking less and less it just draws out the process of drying off. By stopping cold-turkey, she will dry up quicker. Just be simpathetic and give her some relief if her udder gets painfully tight, just don't milk her out completely, or you will be back to square one.

6. simplestyle

I am ready for her to dry off because she has been milking since last July. She was not bred this year. I would like to give her a break, as she will be bred this fall. I have been using her milk to feed a buck and he is just about to be weaned. Thanks for the advice.

Britt