Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure I've read SOMEWHERE that CP soap can be dried in the dehydrator on low ...then it doesn't have to have the 3 week curing process...but I can't find it anywhere! Anyone out there know about that? I have an Excaliber dryer and have it set on the lowest setting.... is this ok and for how long???
And, what else can I add to my soap to make it a bit harder to last longer? I'm using beeswax now,...just upped the amount to "3 ice cubes worth' per 5# batch of soap...and I use coconut oil, olive oil, safflower oil and lard in the recipe. But I'd like to make it last a bit longer if possible and I don't want to remill it. Thanks!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I think a dehydrator gives off to much heat. You might melt your soap. I have heard that putting your soap in a room with a dehumidifier takes out the moisture a bit faster. Don't quote me on that tho. LOL Been a long time since I made some serious soap. Just getting back into it myself and in the 6 or so years had my first volcano. What an adrenaline rush to get that cleaned up and not get burned.

Linda

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've read that the dehydrator even on low is still to hot for soap. Maybe you could put it near a heat source such as the stove, furnace or radiant heater but I wouldn't take a chance on a dehydrator. As for dehumidifiers I think some soapmakers put their fresh soaps in a room with a dehumidifier going but those things pull a lot of electricity (I think). There is much discussion about what makes for a "full cure" but I've found that just letting it dry out and harden on its own is still the best way. :)

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
Decrease the liquid amount you're using to get your soaps harder faster.

With coconut oil, olive oil, safflower oil and lard you should have a very hard bar.

What percentage of liquid to oils used are using in your recipe??

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cyndi, I am using one of your recipes you had posted a few years back. I LOVE the recipe but want it harder. I will try cutting back on the water ...and I guess I'll leave the door open on the dehydrator to help speed the drying as well....Thanks all!

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
One of the 3# recipes on my website?
14 oz. olive oil
14 oz. coconut oil
14 oz. Lard
6 oz. Sunflower Seed
16 oz. cold water
6.7 oz. lye crystals

This should harden up pretty fast and be ready to go in 4-6 weeks

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, what I am trying to say is I want to make the bar harder to LAST longer in the shower. I have one particular customer that says she LOVES my soap....but that they don't last long enough. So, what can I do to make them last longer??? Yes, that's the recipe but I've added in some beeswax.....also, another question if you don't mind: am I able to somehow melt down a batch to add in more EO if I wanted to??? If so, how would I go about that. Thanks so much!

·
Green Woman
1,957 Posts
you can also use oo or tallow to make it harder.

and to rebatch? Fairly easy but will make your soap look different.

grate it, put it in a crockpot, add some milk, cook until ready and add in the eo/fo desired.

Try The Dish Forum...

http://www.thedishforum.com/forum/

become a member, it's free. Really.

I WOULDN'T use the dehydrator. It'll permanently smell like your soap. More than likely. I use an unheated garage and it cures the soap nicely.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts