Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have Australian Shepherds. Star is 11 and Belle is 6. Can dogs get bad dry skin and if so what do you do for them. We have never had a flea problem. This summer we ended up at the vet and asked what to do thinking they had fleas. We did see a couple on them, but we used all the stuff the vet said to try from natural to chemical. They are still digging at them selves in different places. We have already had many days in the teens, and we have not seen a flea on them nor in the house.

They are miserable and it makes us miserable.
Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Allot of the commercial foods have changed their ingredents and the quality of them, so it could be a change in that area.
I find that adding a can or two a week of salmon to my dogs diets keeps them soft and moisterized, after all healthy skin and coat comes from the inside. your cats will thank you too

·
In Memorium
15,516 Posts
When my dog or cats have that problem, I add cod liver oil to their diets.

The dog got a tablespoon and the cat got a teaspoon.

I learned that from my father. In winter, he was troubled with dry skin and scalp. He'd take a tablespoon of it every day and it cleared fast.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
First of all, even one flea can drive a dog insane. It can actually be worse when there is only a minor infestation as they are more sensitive to the occassional bite than if they are being bitten constantly. Before you say no fleas, look for flea dirt and use a flea comb to check. Weather means nothing. The fleas can live just fine on the dog no matter how cold it is outside and breed just fine indoors. If it is fleas, then treat your home with a product with an IGR (like Nylar)...spray everything up to waist high and bathe the dogs in dish soap- let them sit in suds for about 10 mins and rinse. Meanwhile start sprinkling thier food with a tiny amount of garlic powder (very very light sprinkle). It takes 2 weeks to work, but will prevent fleas ON the pet. IF you find no fleas or dirt after combing, then look for lots of flakes of skin to determine if it is dry skin. If you only find a few flakes, chances are it is not dry skin but an allergy...usually it is to grains in kibble (check ears for a yeasty smell, feet for an odor and ears and belly skin for too much color). Switch to a either a low allergen diet (no corn, wheat or soy in any form) or a grain free diet. If you do find lots of flakes, then you can add animal or fish fat (oil or trimmings) to the diet. You do not need to add much....too much and you will have upset tummies.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate all the replies and I will pass them on to my husband. Our dogs do get a small amount of raw milk each day and the occasional cracked egg.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts