dry skin on goat - how to help

Discussion in 'Goats' started by prairiecomforts, Aug 2, 2006.

1. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts Well-Known Member

Today I clipped one of the kids' goats that we are planning on taking to the county fair this weekend and as I was clipping her, I noticed that she has very dry skin. She is almost all black so this kind of flaky skin is very noticeable. She is a very healthy goat other than that. Is there some kind of conditioner that we can try to make it look better? I am not sure what else to do.

2. Faithful Heart

Faithful Heart Well-Known Member

May seem silly, but I generally use buttermilk or mayo. I feel all those fancy shampoos and such are just too expensive, and just not all that great.

3. xoxoGOATSxoxo

xoxoGOATSxoxo when in doubt, mumble.

I have a black Alpine who has that problem, mostly in the spring, but a little in the summer. Since it's not so bad, I don't do anything about it except brush her. You could try a mild sunscreen, though. Test it a few days before you really slather it on, in case she's allergic to it. You probably wouldn't want to do this technique at the fair, since she'll look a little greasy. If you actually want to try this method, it would be good because even the dark-skinned goats get sunburned, so this way you'd be protecting against cancer and dandruff! But anyway, have fun at your fair! :)

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Black does take some artistry to make them look good for showing. First we feed BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) just a handful on the milkstand twice a day, and sprinkled over their alfalfa pellets when they are not milking. The added fat (which you can do with plain old corn oil also, just start slow and move up slowly or she will get the runs) slicks up the hair and prepares the skin really well.

I use a covercoat blade on my Lister clippers, this gives you more hair to cover the skin, they can be shaved today and showed today. Even with skip tooth blades or 30's on normal clippers, for about 2 weeks your black does will have an invisiable look and every single blade mark shows on them. If you don't have the covercoat blades handy...and for the county show you should be able to use the clippers they have for both the cows and horses at your disposale....than always clip your black does early, wash them really well scrubbing their skin of all the dandruff. do this early in the year to get all the old winter flake out of them....feed BOSS all this winter, then a reclip 2 weeks before the show..they are perfect! Apply showsheen after clipping and excellent brushing and it helps to keep them clean until show. Too many bathes with detergent you are not rinsing out well enough can also cause icky skin.

Do NOT use cold well water to wash your ruminants! A cold rumen makes your doe shiver, it shrinks them and they loose body capacity. Use buckets of water from the hot water heater, cooled to outside temp in the sun...I cringe at shows when I see folks washing their goats and cattle in ice cold water! :nono: Good luck at the show! Vicki

5. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts Well-Known Member

Thanks for your suggestions.!

And Viski - I picked up some show sheen yesterday and used it on the girls that are going to show tomorrow - I am really happy with the way it looks! And I am going to try the BOSS for this next year. Dumb question - do you mean the stuff that they sell for like for bird seed? Just wondering!

6. Faithful Heart

Faithful Heart Well-Known Member

Yeah.... just bird seed style black oil sunflower seeds (BOSS). I get it at walmart for about $9 for 25 pounds.