Dry Period before freshening?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by LuckyGRanch, Jan 9, 2005.

1. LuckyGRanch

LuckyGRanch Well-Known Member

How long does the family milk cow need to be dry before freshening. I was at the vet yesterday for other issues yesterday and he recommends 60 days. For those of us that keep a family milk cow...is there any advantage to a longer/shorter dry period? Posey is a spoiled, pampered pet that receives her own ration everyday so bringing her out of a herd for special feed, etc isn't an issue.

Thanks

2. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

From what I have read and seen...60 days is the ideal. Enough time for the mother to dry up, feed the fetus in the last couple of months and gain a little bit more body before tackling the next lactation. Animals dry for over 60 days tend to have lower averages for that lactation and if done regularly will start to dry themselves up early every year following. Xena was 8 years old (almost 9). She was on her 7th lactation and had never milked for 305 days (10 months) until her 6th lactation. She tended to dry herself up early every year.
    There are some larger farms that go to 45 days and have tried 30 days. I like the two months. The cows that have two months dry spell tend to do very well.
    I made a mistake last year and Lady only had a four day dry spell. She did not do nearly as well as she would have with a longer dry spell. We also had a cow on the otherside of that. Star was given one more chance to settle. We AIed her and dried her up that day. She was dry for her entire pregnancy. Unfortunately, that was her last pregnancy and she did not have a good lactation. But hers was an udder problem and age problem.

Of course, we have a dairy...

3. LuckyGRanch

LuckyGRanch Well-Known Member