dry patchy skin on goats muzzle, around eyes and under front legs

Discussion in 'Goats' started by smreedy, Mar 8, 2005.

1. smreedy

smreedy New Member

We have a french alpine doe that has developed rough dry cracked skin on her muzzle, around her eyes and under her front legs- in the armpit. We have treated with anti-biotics and different salves- our vet has never seen anything like this before. She is not improving- so, I thought I'd put the question out to the forum for any insight. This condition resembles a burl on a tree- really rough with deep cracks. We thought at first it was frostbite. It does not appear to be contagious- none of our other goats show any signs. Does anyone have any ideas?

2. NewlandNubians

NewlandNubians Well-Known Member

If she were mine I would treat her for lice and give her about two weeks and see if the hair grows back. I use eprinex cattle pour-on wormer. Just pour it on like for cattle, only give her 1.5 times the cattle dose. It works better than anything else for lice. You should see hair grow back in two weeks.

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

She may have allergies. did you change food or grazing areas before she got it? try a horse skin supplement, ask vet for dosage

4. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

Hmm, we have the same in one of our goats, and she got it after a very cold spell. It seems to be coming off now. It is not soremouth, I have experience with that. Hers was just on her nose and on her ears.

5. wwoodacres

wwoodacres Active Member

hi i read your reply i was looking for info on sore mouth i just lost a 4 week old and he had a crusty sore on his lower lip and on his ears and the underside of his tail he also had a high fever

6. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

In my experience (in sheep), the soremouth is only around the mouth, in the mouth & throat. I always thought it was more of a problem if the mother also got the sores on her nipples, which she can, and then didn't allow them to nurse while she had it. Never heard of a fever with it, though. I wonder if you had two different things, perhaps?

7. Key

Key Well-Known Member

If you do discover what it is......please let me know since one of my goats has it, too, I think! She has dry, crusty skin around her motuh and eyes, but it is not raised, open or bloody. I thought it was sore mouth at first, but she hadn't been around any new animals, bu the vet and I agreed that that is what it had to be. Well, that was in January, and today is April 1st. I think it may be ringworm, but she seem very itchy. She scratches it incessantly. Do you know if ringworm is scratchy? I think I will treat that, and hopefully a big dose of Spring sunshine will help!

8. vaponydoc

vaponydoc Well-Known Member

Hi -- there are alot of possibilities --

Have you had your vet do any diagnostics? I would start with skin scraping and DTM culture for ringworm. Do these for sure, as external parasites or ringworm is contagious -- ringworm to people, too!

If nothing on those, may want to consider bloodwork and skin biopsy -- skin biopsies are very small and not too invasive.

I am treating a goat now who presented with similar signs but with 8 month duration -- we think she has zinc-responsive skin disease. She does not have a zinc deficiency, but an abnormally high zinc requirement. Ask your vet about this if nothing else turns up -- this is a rare disease.

Good luck!