Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. So one of our does who we just bought has been dried up quickly for an undetermined amount of time before we bought her and has 1 teat that is quite small and the other is quite visible and larger. It is not hard, does not hold heat and does not appear to cause her any pain even when palpated. Is this from being a long time milker and being dried up or another problem. Yes, I know, and we usually would not have bought one like this however she is very well put together and of very good nature other than this. Please advise. Thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She may have nursed her kid, however the other teat is to the point it appears as though it were on a doe that hasnt been bred in a while. I had thought she was only milked on one side but this is her right teat. Like I said, doesnt seem to bother her but the one is the size of my pinky tip and this one is like two of my thumbs side by side and the same length. Should I go ahead and breed her and try milking her evenly or could this damage her udder?

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
I have a doe who has raised singletons (I've pulled on eofr Prevention) and she is lopsided due to the kid favoring one side over the other. She always dries up unevenly and the one teat, even dy, is twice as big. It does not affect her, but I keep a very close eye on her when she is drying off.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sometimes goats are born with different-sized teats. Having two noticeably different-sized teats is a major defect. If she was born this way, you may want to reconsider breeding her. Ask the prior owners, this might be why they sold her.
It only appears to be a different size (noticeably) when she is dry... Or so am told.

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
Is there any chance she's being nursed by another goat? My Nubian had one larger teat during her last dry spell because her doeling was still sneaking a few sips here and there, just off of one side. Now that she is getting near kidding, her udder is nice and even, filling well (and the "kid" isn't getting any of it anymore).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there any chance she's being nursed by another goat? My Nubian had one larger teat during her last dry spell because her doeling was still sneaking a few sips here and there, just off of one side. Now that she is getting near kidding, her udder is nice and even, filling well (and the "kid" isn't getting any of it anymore).
I dont have any youngsters in with her. I checked to see if there is any milk coming from the udder (If you milk it) and there doesn't appear to be any so I doubt its that. Again it doesnt seem to bother her and it is not attached badly. Maybe I am just worried for no reason.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts