Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didnt want to further hijack the thankful thread so I thought I would start a new one.....

here is my post from over there:
I have one of those dry erase boards....we liquid nailed it to a sheet of plywood and put trim on the top and bottom....I used L brackets to attach it to the wall in my classroom...this way when/if I got another teaching position, I could take the Dry erase board with me....we did end up having to screw it to the wall on the sides, because even in the brackets, it bowed out a bit....

I have transfered to another school, but my new classroom doesnt have room for it so it is just in my hallway

Well to answer the question, yes the school has chalk boards....when they get worn, the school takes the special "blackboard" paint and resurfaces it.

My classroom had a 4x12 ft chalkboard...when I inquired about getting a dry erase board because I had an open wall that would have been perfect, they said that they could recover the chalkboard.....they wanted to use a 4x8 sheet of shower board and liqiud nail it to the existing chalkboard....in effect giving me 4x8 of dry erase and 4x4 chalk....I thought that this would actually cut down on my available writing surface

they were unwilling to give me a white board in addition to the complete 4x12ft chalkboard.....so I made my own and since I paid for the materials, I durn sure wasnt going to make it a permanent fixture to that classroom!!!

my current classroom has 3 walls completely covered with chalk boards (4ft by the length of the wall).....and the 4th wall has windows.....we are getting a new building and I have requested dry erase instead of chalk

If teachers want something specific in their classroom other than what the school has provided, then the teachers more or less has to provide it themselves.....I got $100 for supplies last year....I used it to buy binders to put my confidential files in....then I also needed the tabbed divider things....all in all I needed about 35 of them....my $100 barely covered all of the binders....any inkpens, pencils, desk calendar, markers, highlighters, stapler, tape dispenser, white out, scissors, staples, tape, rubberbands, stampers, bulletin board decorations, etc must either be purchased with your $100 allotment or you pay for it out of pocket....I teach at both the elementary and high school (same school--seperate towns) so I had 2 classrooms to use the $100 on...

and I used mine on the binders....they were 2inch gray 3-ring binders that were IIRC ~$2 each and then the tabbed dividers were ~$1 each...I actually ended up needing more by mid-year or so and those DID come out of my pocket....and since I used all of my supply monies on binders, any and all other supplies that I purchased came out of my pocket as well.

Rachel

·
Registered
271 Posts
Just curious, How do you teach both high and elementary in seperate towns? Here in AL high and elementary school pretty much runs the same time. Being a teacher, maybe you could offer some advice about my daughter and her teacher. She (my daughter) wouldn't speak to her teacher during orientation. She is really SHY.

T

·
0 Posts
My SIL taught summer school and got 2 pairs of scissors, a bottle of glue and a package of markers for supplies. She ended up spending $700 of her own money to get all the stuff she needed. She had between 20 and 25 kids in her class. Granted, most of the stuff she got she took with her, but she is still out reams of paper, pencils and other stuff. This is a poor school dist. so she even had a loaf of bread and packets of jelly in her room for breakfast for those kids who "forgot" breakfast. She said she went through about 5 loaves of bread and 2#'s of peanut butter a week. Out of her pocket, of course.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ther may be a slight difference in times between the 2 school schedules..if so it is just mere minutes.....I teach Special Ed...I start the day at the elementary and about 11ish go to the high school (10min drive--they dont furnish a vehicle nor reimburse mileage) where I teach the afternoon classes....last year I saw:

1 first grader
2 third graders
1 fourth grader
1 fifth grader

then went to the HS where I taught:
4th hr-- 8th TechEd (1 student), consult on Algebra II (1 student), and English II (2 students)
5th hr-- 7th grade math (4 students), study hall for 1 8th grader--it was technically his PE time
6th hr--8th grade English (1 student)
7th hr--supposed to be my plan period but I ended up with 2 eighth graders for math...they would stay in their reg class for the instruction time and then come to my class for the seatwork portion of class....

in addition to these everyday students, I also had 'drop ins' who would come for extra help on work, to take a test, etc

I go back to school Thursday...I dont quite know yet what I will have this year....it will be decided when I see the new schedule and visit with the regular class teachers

Rachel

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if your daugher is realy shy then it may take about a week of interaction in the classroom before she opens up to the teacher.....if I remember correctly isnt your daughter young? Like 5yo? she will warm up to people....if she is going to school for the first time, there are MANY people for her to get to know....the teacher, secretary, lunch lady, janitor, teachers aides, other teachers, classmates, etc

I am 28 and I was scared to death the first day of school last year....I had met the superintendent, his secretary, and the other office secretary but she retired and was replaced....other than that, I only knew 1 teacher and 1 student!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts