Drunk Driving

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ckncrazy, Nov 21, 2004.

1. ckncrazy

ckncrazy Well-Known Member

I just wanted to remind everyone to be careful this holiday season. Please dont drink and drive!!!!

The reason I am saying this is becouse one of my best friends was killed November 13th at 5:30 am by a drunk driver. The SOB that hit him had a BAC of .23% The accident was on interstate 81 here in N.Y. Just remember that it can happen at any time of day or night. On any road.

2. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Im sorry to hear about the loss of your friend :(

3. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Most states now have .08 as the standard. That is very, very low. A couple of beers in a short time can put you over the level. It is also somewhat correlated to body weight also. I believe a single beer or typical bar drink can bring a petite person near that level.

Ken Scharabok

4. ckncrazy

Ken that is so true. This guy (acording to the sherrif's) was fall down, can't stand up drunk at the scene.

5. BobBoyce

BobBoyce Well-Known Member

Around here the mountain terrain gets rid of a lot of drunk drivers. They miss the curves and go over the side, or plow into a boulder or tree. They usually just do their own selves in. It is a tragedy when they take innocent lives in the process.

Bob

6. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your friend. What a shame. I drive 81 every day, and come home from work just past midnight. This scares the heck out of me.

7. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

One year ago on Thanksgiving I lost my wife to a drunk driver. I am often asked if I will ever forgive the guy. At this point though its the christian thing to do it just isnt happening. I hope it will come with time. I sent him a letter with pictures of my children and let him know just how he changed our lives. I would have thought that I would have received some sort of reply, maybe even an apology. Never heard a word. We were together for almost 16 years. I lost my wife, my childrens mother and my best friend all over running to the store to get cranberry sauce cause God knows I cant have Thanksgiving dinner without it. She died going to the store to get me something that she thought I would want. She was unselfish in that way. Up all night cooking and rather than bother us with going she went instead. The driver that hit her was going for a pack of Marlboros. A pack of cigaretes and a can of cranberry sauce was what killed my wife. So please not only look out for other drivers but make sure you dont make the same mistake he did. He knew he was feeling drunk but thought ''what the hell its about a half a mile" So when your chuggin beer watching the ball game and need something from the store ask yourself just how much it is worth. Is it worth killing someone or yourself for? I have four children that would tell you that it just isnt worth it.

8. BobBoyce

BobBoyce Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear that DrippingSprings. I don't usually get emotional very easy, but reading that moved me to tears. I feel the pain for you man. I don't think I could forgive either, so you're not alone there.

Bob

9. flutemandolin

flutemandolin mark an eight, dude!

I'm so sorry to hear about your losses, ckncrazy and DrippingSprings. I can't imagine what this upcoming holiday will be like for you. My prayers are with you.

It makes me angry when I hear about drivers here in MN that are arrested for their 20-somethingth DWI, had their license suspended years ago, and still they are out on the road. :no:

10. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

I lost my best-friend, her young husband, and her brother because THEY were drinking in an awful wreck where they ran off a mountain way back in 1973....I'm so glad they didn't kill anyone else but they left two little boys, then about 1 and 3, with no parents....they have since grown up and done well but they should have had their parents with them...And I will go to my grave missing Libby...

I have worked so many drunk driving wrecks in my nearly 25 years as a reporter....please please please don't drink and drive, not even just a tiny bit, you never know how impaired you are.....

11. george darby

george darby Well-Known Member

i was on jury duty several years back, i was amazed when they tried to seat a jury and there almost were not enough of us for a full jury from the jury pool who had not been cited for drinking and driving some of them had more than one , i have no clue what the solution is people should know better...... but with a lot of people its a constant action they just havent been caught.......some even are semi_drunk at work ...... operating heavy equipment or making deliveries

12. Nevada

Nevada Voice of Reason Supporter

The 'should have known' thing is interesting. I have heard that some states now treat driving tired the same as driving drunk. The logic is that if you cause an accident because you were too tired to drive safely, and you admit it, then you should have known better and the accident was therefore preventable.

If there is a death from driving tired in those states, the charge will be manslaughter the same as if you were driving drunk.

13. JustinThyme

JustinThyme Active Member

When I was 15 I lost my mother to a drunk driver .Last year I lost my best and only friend to a drunk driver .As you read this ,someone ,somewhere is affected by alcohol in a negative way . Its too bad people cant be happy with their state of mind and have to change it with booze ,drinking should be as socially unacceptable as hard drugs .My family 'soulmate' is a horrible drunk ,it breaks my heart ,but try to get them to stop ... my heart goes out to all of you ,keep your chin up .

14. ckncrazy

Thanks for all of your kind thoughts and heart breaking stories. Hopefully we have saved a life, by people reading this thread and thinking twice before driving under the influence.

Remember Shamus and all the others lost this Thanksgiving

15. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

God bless you all who've suffered these losses....please please don't drink and drive! And if you're an older person, please please don't drive after taking your medications OR when others are telling you that it is "time" for you to quit driving. My mama wouldn't listen and pulled out in front of a bail bondsman doing abuot 70 mph....my grandson was airlifted to a B'ham hospital and two other 80 year old ladies with my mama were injured....Mama hasn't driven since (it totaled her car) but she got really mad and wanted to drive and get a new car several times...

It's not age...It's when you're loosing your eyesight, your reflexes are not good, etc. I know folks in their 90's who still drive just fine. I know folks in their 60's who shouldn't have been on the road for the past 10 years!

So please folks....just think of others!