*Drum Roll* Barn renovation pictures

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by JeffNY, Feb 23, 2005.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

For those who saw the pics of the barn, what it looked like might experience dizzyness ;). After comparing the old to the new, I amazed myself. I have already amazed several people, a vet and a friend who used to work here when I was oh, 1yr old. Now yes I did get suggestions, but the design is mine from the ground up. What is amazing is the fact this barn gained light, and it looks bigger. All I did was do a few things. Now if anyone is thinking about cow comfort, those mattresses are nice. Heck I would sleep on it, they are nice. They have awesome grip, water beeds on it, and its strong. The dividers are custom made, my design and if anyone wants it ill share it. It is simple, yet very strong. Heck I know of someone that likes the design (maybe I should get a tube bender and learn how to weld lol ;)). But I amazed myself, I didn't realise it would look this way, I figured it would look good but it does have a new look to it. Now for the pics, but I gotta show the before.

Before: Notice the old dividers, the stanchions, the dirty small look, the ahhh look. It actually makes me shake my head that I thought it wasn't all that bad. But boy it looked awfull.

[​IMG]

After: This project started Jan 1stish 05, and the one side is mostly completed as of Jan 22ndish 05. There is more cement to be added, water line, water bowls, and chain. However those will come next month. The grates were made well and use square steel. The clamps on the tie rail are strong, and are fairly thick. The dividers are 2 3/8's OD, square tube is 3".

[​IMG]

I was going to black out 3/4 of it to make you wait a little, but naaa. There it is, an almost finished part. It is mostly finished, finished enough to share pictures. Now for the entire line up, sorry for the wait but notice how things were layed into place.

For the entire collection of pictures.

http://www.beechtree.us/barn

Enjoy!

Jeff

2. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

Pretty nice !! Congrats !!

3. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Good job my friend!!

4. SmokedCow

SmokedCow Well-Known Member

Very Nice! I like alot..!
    AJ

5. milkstoolcowboy

milkstoolcowboy Farmer

Jeff,

Was this barn orignally built for Jerseys? The stalls look short for Holsteins. Same with the aisle/alleyway behind the cows. Are you going to milk in these stalls or just use it like a free-stall setup?

Are you planning to clean the gutter with shovel and wheelbarrow, flip the grates up?

Are you going to mount the drinking bowls on that vertical rectangular tubing? Facing into the stall or into the manger? Some cows like to play in the drinking cups.

Are you planning to put in a pipeline or use buckets and a transfer? Just wondering about installing the air line and the pipeline.

The other thing that's hard to tell is whether you've got enough air exchange in the barn.

6. myersfarm

myersfarm Dariy Calf Raiser

i would like to see a big cow in there i think the bar in front across the top that runs the length of the barn is too low will rub on top of there necks...look how tall the old ones are.....as far as that goes lead one of your heifers in there and take a picture for us..let us see how they fit...then when they become cows take another

7. milkstoolcowboy

milkstoolcowboy Farmer

I thought the same thing about that pipe running across the top of the stall dividers. This stall design seems more like a free-stall design That pipe does seem low and the cow will have to stand back and with her head down the whole time she's in there.

If you are going to have tie-stalls, where are you going to install the tie chains?

8. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

1: That barn was built for something, and whoever built it must have had a crooked plum line, it has a nice little curve half way down. There was holsteins in this barn before, actually the barn was packed full of them. But im not sure what the orginal design was for. The stalls will be milked in, they will be in from night till morning, basically for feeding and milking. Then out for the day, under organic standards it is required to let them have access outdoors. Regardless of those standards, its a good practice.

2:Nope, the actual barn cleaner is not in yet, that is going to be moved in late March into April. The old barn cleaner was stripped out years ago. The grates can be flipped out for any break downs.

3:The water bowls will be mounted on the vertical support in the manger, facing the stall. The square tube is the support for the divider. That U inside the manger is for that purpose, the water bowl.

4: Going to use buckets and a transfer (dumping station im assuming). With this small of a herd, its not economical to install a milk line, and not only that. The buckets are easier to clean, and use less water.

5: The herdsman that worked here years ago was telling me, when we were talking about the barn. He never had pnuemonia, and didn't have many health problems in the barn. He said it was his favorite barn to work in, because it breathes. If you stand in the barn on any given day, there is an airflow. It is noticeable with any cobwebs. But it does breathe. If it was a 70 degree night, humid. You could open a window on one end, run the fans at the other, and create a wind tunnel effect if needed.

The neck rail is tough to judge for height in the picture, however with the feed, etc. The cows wont be reaching into the manger for feed. See the manger isn't overly wide, and if they could reach up to 3' in, they would push feed to the other side. Due to the extended length of the bed, slightly wider (for the holsteins, and wider for some) they will have sufficent room. The one place I bought the 4 holsteins from has their neck rail about the same height as mine. What i've noticed is they don't always hold their head below it, they seem comfortable. Actually they don't have many health problems because of the stall, its their pasture (stones).

The chain will be mounted to the neck rail. The length is yet to be determined, going to figure in that length when I do get someone in there to size her up, and figure her adult size. One of them is quite large, about 900lbs (holstein). She will be in for dehorning in a couple weeks, so ill be able to see how it all sizes up. If I had to raise the bar, it could be done without raising those dividers, which would be hard considering they are cemented now. But it is possible without comprimising strength. The real test will be with one of the herefords, she is 1500lbs, and will be in there to test the strength, since they seem stronger than holsteins (more muscle), and are rough on things. Not only that, even though she isn't as tall as a holstein, her size would be a decent judge.

Jeff

9. myersfarm

myersfarm Dariy Calf Raiser

jeff in your first post you say you amazed your self and other ppl also will amaze us now dont put a little herford in the stalls (never saw a hereford any were near as tall as a holstien)......put those heifers in and seen us a picture...you showed us that they lead and you have a camera so it should be easy to post a picture....if you really want to amazes use put in three 2 holstiens and a hereford........waiting to be amazed john

10. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Those holsteins don't lead, they look it in the picture but its a different story with leading. A hereford height wise is different, however what im testing is strength. If it holds up to a hereford that is as big weight wise as most holsteins are, not only that herefords tend to be rough on things. Had this hay feeder on the wall, sat fine with 4 holsteins. As soon as we let in some of the herefords, they managed to knock it down. As soon as 2 weeks rolls around, will be when a picture can be snapped.

But one dimension I left out, was the length. Old length from stall side to the gutter was 56". The new length is 66", which is the reccomended stall length. That is 66" mattress length, not total to the other side of the grate. That would be 72".

But today I looked things over, looked at the animals and if they have problems in there ill be very surprised. Remember, a Jersey is 4.5' tall, most of them are atleast. If I went with 4', I would have had issues with the Jerseys. So I had to compromise a little. If worse comes to worse, I can raise it to 44", which would be max considering the Jerseys. But either way, regardless if anyone is amazed or not, it came out well and ive impressed several people who have seen it up close. One was a vet who sees all kinds of barns, another was the herdsman that worked here a long time ago. As I said, the picture is deceiving. Just like the cows on the halter, remember one should never assume!

Jeff

11. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

The stalls still look a little short to me too for some reason (could just be the picture). :confused:

Holsteins have gotten larger over the years. One of the barns where I work was built many years ago, I'd say at least 40-50, and the stalls are too short ... some of the girls hang over into the gutter when they lay down, and they have trouble standing up in them because they can't "rock" forward enough to get up enough momentum to push themselves up. (Of course in your stalls they will be able to stick their heads forward and through into the manger!)

The newer barn has slightly longer stalls; I try to keep the bigger cows in there as it makes it easier for them to get up.

Another thing Mark does is puts old telephone poles in the fronts of the stalls; the cows sort of hook their knees around them and that helps them get up too!