drugs for seniors

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Hank - Narita, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Not sure this is the right place to post but here goes. DH just was required to get 2 new prescriptions. The lyrica is $70.19 for one month and the lisinopril is $20.24. This is on top of the other "drugs" he is required to take. Where do you all get your drugs? We had been going to Mexico but this is a new drug according to the local market (Safeway) and not available in Mexico. We need to get a alternative to this method of getting drugs. He didn't sign up for the prescription drug coverage yet. Which one do you use? Thanks. Narita

2. RenieB

RenieB Well-Known Member

We have help with our medications from the State of Maine. Our meds are paid by AARP through Medicare and the state helps to have the best rates possible. Even with that some meds are pretty expensive. When the doctor orders something new he doesn't know what is more expensive. I end up checking for us if a generic is not available I ask for another similar med. My dh is on Insulin so that is expensive for us but what can we do he has to have it. Most other meds are reasonably priced.

RenieB

3. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Write to the pharmaceutical company that sells them. They'll send you an application and chances are you'll get it for free from them. One of my relatives is a Merck rep and he says they don't turn anyone down. A lot of people don't know that.

4. bostonlesley

bostonlesley Guest

I'm not 65 but I get Medicare because I'm disabled..I didn't sign up for Part "D"..hate it..one of the meds which I'm on is so expensive that I get it for free from the pharmaceutical company which manufactures it..Ortho MacNeil..Almost all of the drug manufacturers have "patient assistance programs" for low-income people..those folks who have too much income to qualify for any state assistance, yet not enough to be able to afford non-generic medications which cost a fortune.
    They require you to submit a letter from Social Security saying that your income is too much to qualify for state assistance for Part "D"..as long as you meet that, and the manufacturer has a "patient assistance program", you can obtain those expensive drugs at no cost whatsoever.

5. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Drugs for seniors, I'm in favor of it.

6. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

They say you have income qualifications, but that's to deter so many applicants, at least in the case of Merck. They'll supply anyone who asks, at least to my latest knowledge. It must be some kind of self-imposed pennance for all the bad stuff they do, but hey--whatever gets you through the day.

7. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

AAA card and sav on drugs will cut the bill about 40-50%,its a great deal on lisinopril.

BooBoo

8. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

:rolleyes: :dance:

9. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

DH and I are both disabled and we signed up with part D. We both use Humana and are very pleased with it. You can go on line and put in your medication and see if it is covered. DH takes about 7 different and I take 2. Of his 4 of them are name brand and he pays 5$ for each of them and the other three are Generic and they are only 2$ each. Both of mine are Generic and my Dr. gives me a precription for 3 months supply and I wind up only paying 4$ for the two which last me three months.

10. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

11. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Sign you up for Humana....$5 generic Rx's. Gov handout but rx's are way overpriced by this big money frubbing drug companies. Seniors and those who qualify deserve it. Effective the day you sign.My DH has paid enough taxes over the years to not feel bad taking this benefit. DEE