Drove car to the shop but couldn't drive it home! :(

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Montana Mom, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Montana Mom

Montana Mom Well-Known Member

I just found this forum. Some time ago I took my car into the shop for regular service tune up. I'd had this car since it was new and it had never given me any trouble; 110K miles. When the shop was done I tried to drive it home and it died not half a mile from the shop. I managed to get it started again and drove the other half mile home and it died again in my driveway. Wouldn't start, cranking but not turning over.

Called shop, they came out and tinkered with it the next day and got it started. Drove it the next day about two miles and it died again and I couldn't restart it. The tach was flying wildly in the low numbers and it was losing power, then the tach just dropped to zero and it went out. Shop came and got the car again.

After keeping it for several days they called and said that they had doublechecked and found nothing wrong with their work. Said they could start the car but as soon as it warmed up it died like it had been for me. Said they didn't know what was wrong with it, but were ordering parts. I said no and got the car back instead. I tried starting it the other day and it started but sounds very bad and I just couldn't trust driving it.

Any ideas? What happened to my car?

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    We need a lot further info, brand, type of engine, milage, what did the shop do, ect. About all that can be done from present standpoint is to suggest process of elimination, such as establish that the fuel is getting to the system, air filter is clear, electrical connections are tight, battery has adequate charge, no air leaks, no water in fuel, all the usual starting points.

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Mitch is right. More info would help. I'd start with a plugged fuel filtre. Did they change that? Did they install it backwards?

4. It would be difficult to figure out from such little info. I suspect you don't do your own mechanical work anyhow?

Your choice is to take it back to the shop you had it at. From your side of the conversation, that seems like a bad idea. They should easily know exactly what is wrong with it from what it is doing. The only hard things to diagnose are the when an engine dies momentarily every 100-200 miles. Very hard to ccatch it when it acts up, or figure out which system is causing the very sporatic problem.

Something that dies every 2 miles should be _easy_ for any knowledgeable shop to figure out.

So option 2 for you, cut your losses & take it to another, better, shop to get it fixed right.

--->Paul

5. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

my guess is that they crossed a wire when they changed plugs

check firing order and make sure wires are right

distributor cap not seated
    check the top of rotor in distributor that it isn't broken
    cracked distributor cap

also wrong plugs

for starters