Dropping question

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by nans31, Jun 12, 2004.

1. nans31

nans31 Well-Known Member

I bought a doe and her 3.5 month old daughters on Wednesday. Today, the doe had babies- 6 at least. The lady I bought her from only had her for a couple weeks and didn't realize she was pregnant. ( I put in a nest box when she was pulling fur) Anyway, my question: this rabbit has the largest droppings I've ever seen. They're about the size of 2 regular droppings, and elongated. Most don't fit through the wire floor. I noticed that her daughters also have odd shaped and larger than most droppings. Does anyone know why? Any health condition that it may be related to?

Nan

2. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

Are you feeding the same feed as the person you got them from?

Try adding some hay. I put the hay right on top of the cages and they pull it through.

Are you sure this is not the night droppings you are seeing. Sounds gross but they eat this. Cant remeber the word right now. To early and not enough coffee yet :)

3. nans31

nans31 Well-Known Member

No, not feeding the same feed. She couldn't spare any. That's the reason she was getting rid of them, she couldn't afford the feed. THey are both the same brand tho- Purina . I am giving hay. No, not the night droppings-- this is 95% of the droppings!

4. Michael Leferink

Michael Leferink Well-Known Member

I've noticed that some of our rabbits produce larger droppings than others. They all get the same feed and hay. I have heard that some brands of feed tend to produce larger droppings. It doesn't seem like anything to worry about, unless there are other symptoms.

Mike

5. dlwelch

dlwelch Well-Known Member

If they aren't the softer cecotropes, perhaps it is related to
    a higher level of fiber in the feed. Adding fiber (hay plus a high
    fiber feed) can increase the size of the stool.

Hope it is nothing serious. Good luck with your rabbits.