Dropped a tray of seedlings

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Peg, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Peg

Peg Well-Known Member

Oh man! I dropped a tray of seedlings this evening. :waa: Of course everything flew out. I tried to scoop everything up and repot, but I don't know if the little pepper plants are going to make it. Not so worried about the tomatoes, although they look shell-shocked too. I had 1 6-pack of pepperonchinis (sp?) and 1 6-pack of Bells. Who knows what's what now. I'll probably be able to tell when they're older, won't I? The tomatoes are all mixed up now too. I had 4 different kinds. I guess some of my garden will be called "The Mystery Garden" this year! :(

Peg
    www.cookinkids.com

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Well Ding Dang Double Dang.
    Don't you just hate it when that stuff happens?
    Sure will cut down on the garden being just humm drum. Lots of luck.

3. MomInGa

MomInGa Well-Known Member

I'm so glad I am not the only one that does stuff like that. :) One of my gardens is a "smorgasbord garden."
    I dont know what all is in there.
    I just know they are edible and there are a lot of things tossed in there.
    And is actually is a lot of fun.
    I do have some radishes and some other stuff peeking through. We just wait to see what develops. :)

4. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

Don't feel too bad Peg, at least you have some plants left. I "had" a 72 cell flat filled with Paquebots, Wis 55's, okra and hollyhocks. High winds blew the top off the tray and in the torrential rains the little guys all drowned before I could save them. I have to start over.

Paquebot said he wondered how many ways his babies could be killed. I wonder if this is a new one on him? :eek: Thankfully I didn't start all my Paquebot and Wis 55 seeds. I have enough to start over. :p

As far as the peppers, you'll be able to tell them apart, I don't know about the tomatoes. I'm happy for you for at least having "The Mystery Garden" and hope you enjoy. :D

5. SueD

SueD Well-Known Member

Please don't be mad... I had to chuckle... I do that at least once a season, so don't feel too bad!

Your peppers will probably survive - replant just a touch deeper than you would normally and give 'em plenty of light.

If you are growing heirloom tomatoes, I've noticed that several of mine have very different leaves... Brandywines look more like a cross between a pepper and a tomato, etc. The romas have more sections than the Golden Queens, too. But I don't know about others.

If all else fails - mystery gardens are at least lots of FUN!!!

Sue

6. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Well last year I was hardening off my transplants and my puppy, with all the stuff in the yard/fields/woods to play with and chew, digs 'em all up. (what? no angry emoticon?!) So being an idiot, I tried to fix and repot them, and put them back thinking she wouldn't do it again :rolleyes: . What brains a year makes, eh? Why when I'm 100 I'll be a genius!

7. Peg

Peg Well-Known Member

Been there with the puppy thing a few years ago too. That's why I now have raised beds on the side of the house behind a make-shift fence. She totally destroyed my strawberry patch that winter with just running through it (yellow lab), and she loved to help me harvest the beans (especially if I wasn't around). She was also getting her thrills from eating the jalapenos. In fact, she was spending more time gardening than I was!

I don't think the peppers are going to make it. I may have to buy my pepper plants from the nursery this year.

Peg

8. Cara

Cara Well-Known Member

Peg, I read your post and thought how much that would stink...and then today did it myself! I had been fighting with this HUGE bee for about 5 minutes, so I decided to grab my flat and let him have the front porch, so he landed on my finger and stung the stuff out of me! I actually screamed and threw the flat. Grrr. I think everything will live, though.

9. Peg

Peg Well-Known Member

Wow, Cara, I'm pretty sure I would have thrown the flat too! Your pain is double mine - tossed seedlings AND a bee sting. Yikes!

Peg
    www.cookinkids.com