"droopy" udder in dried up goat???

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Laurie J, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Laurie J

Laurie J Well-Known Member

How else do I describe this? I guess I would call it a droopy udder! Our 4 year old Nubian doe last had babies a year ago, and she has been dried up for several months. She didn't "shrink back" to size, however, and she looks like she has a pretty large udder, but there is no milk there. It is soft, not hard at all. I don't know what is going on. Her showing at the fair days are over, so I am not concerned about how it looks, just worried that she may not be able to feed babies if we breed her again. Our other does all shrank back to normal, but this goat looks like a middle aged gal who's flopping around all over the place! Any comments???

2. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

For my herd what the udder looks like full determines what they look like dry. And of course the older girls, some of it is age, but mostly because they milk twice as much as the younger girls, and the tissue has to go somewhere, have alot more skin, teats and tissue after drying than a younger doe. Does with poor attachment along with large milk supplies of course are going to have more stuff hanging even when dry. Shoofly with her beautiful fore and high rear, has nothing but a fold of skin that hangs down towards her fore and saggy baggy teats when dry. Debut with her ruined fore attachments and huge milk supply, never really dries completly in her 60 day dry time. Longer dry periods of course will be enough to completly dry up most does, but it also causes fertility problems if they are allowed to get fat during that dry period, and of course you take a chance on mastitis taking hold in the dry udder.

The older your girls get the more udder they have when in milk, the more tissue they have when dry. I also couldn't compete at 48 after nursing 3 kids :) Not even at a county fair :) Vicki

3. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

:eek: :nana: :eek:

Golly gee, girl, you made me remember the tears I was in after nursing my first one. Before hand I couldn't put a pencil under there...after holding 7 inches in milk for a year...I think a coke can would've fit! Here's to droopy udders everywhere! :buds:

Meg