Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another post got me thinking and I am curious about something.

What is the fastest you have ever driven and under what circumstances? (where, when, why).

The fastest I have ever driven was 92 miles an hour. It was not on purpose. I had gone to a Lincoln dealership and was test driving a Lincoln Mark VIII on the freeway when I looked down and could not believe I was going that fast. The car was so heavy and so smooth that it did not feel like I was going more than 60 miles an hour. Needless to say, I slowed down immediately and was much more careful about my speed from that point on.

Other than that incident the fastest I have ever driven was 80. It was for a very short time along a very straight, empty road across Kansas, I believe (maybe it was Oklahoma) on the way to Colorado one time. I didn't like driving that fast, so I slowed down to 70, which was the posted speed limit.

I usually drive much slower, because I am hardly ever in a hurry to get someplace and I simply do not like to drive fast, at all.

So what's your story???? hmmmmmmmm????

donsgal

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
Back when I was young and stupid, I once got my car up to a hair over 100 mph, just to see what it was like.

These days, I set my cruise on 70 the minute I get on the highway. That's fast enough to get you where you're going and slow enough that no state trooper would dream of pulling you over even though the speed limit is 55 in most areas.

·
Black Cat Farm
1,357 Posts
donsgal said:
What is the fastest you have ever driven and under what circumstances? (where, when, why).
I cleared the century mark, I think the speedo read 107 when I let off.
Where: Interstate 35 northbound
When: About 2 AM on a lovely May night 11 years ago, after Jr. Prom
Why: Teenager in a Mustang with an open road :rolleyes:

I was alone in the car and the road was deserted when I did this. Honestly, it would have been faster but the car only had a V6 engine. And I might have been young and dumb, but I did think to myself, "If a deer jumps out right now, I'm toast." I let my foot off the accelerator at that point.

I haven't spent much time over the speed limit since then.

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
147, on a Norton motorcycle, a 750 with a 851 Dunstall kit, on a tract. The wind was causing wobbling, hugged the tank and let it slow naturally, for some stupid reason I lived.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
'58 Chevy, 409 built out to about 550hp, no speedometer. It was a friend of mine's car - he had lost his driver's license (go figure...) and asked me if I'd take it out in the country and 'stretch it out'. "Sure", I said. There were a lot of straight, flat roads in South Texas so we had plenty of good choices for this sort of event. Long story short, I ran it up to just under the redline on his tach in fourth gear (it would go well past the tach settings) and decided that was fast enough - things were moving by pretty fast. When we slowed down, I asked him how fast we were going. He asked what the tach read when I slowed. When I told him he did some mental math and said just under 160, probably 155. I never got back in that car.

Had my motorcycle up to 105 once. That seemed a LOT faster than Dennis' Chevy! LOL
Ya do some crazy things when your 17 - surprised sometimes I made it to 20...

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
85...I had just gotten my pickup truck after I'd moved to indiana from CA, and I was on my way to work on a Sunday, I don't know what got into me that day, but I was definiatly speeding...of course 85 is about as fast as that thing could go anyway LOL! the one time I speed, the cops pull me over :rolleyes: I was in a 45 zone! :help: I was scared to death I was goin' to jail, but he was a nice guy and let me off on a warning. I don't speed any more lol I told him 'i'm sorry officer, it usually doesnt go that fast.....I was going down hill" lol

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I had the speedometer pegged at 120 once - but I was driving an ambulance at the time. It was on the straight out 4 mile home stretch to the hospital, well paved straight highway with no traffic and good visibility. There's no way I would have gone that fast on a less familiar stretch of road or with a patient that wasn't in such critical condition.

Lynda

A

·
0 Posts
120+

I say plus because the spedometer pegged out at 120 and I was still accelerating. I'm not sure but I suspect I peaked at around 130 or thereabouts. The steering was starting to get wonky and I was coming up on the end of the road. The road was three miles long, flat, straight as a ruler but for one very slight bend with no other traffic in either direction and no side roads before reaching the intersection that it ended at.

.....Alan.

·
Banned
1,184 Posts
104 mph in my 1973 Plymouth Fury III when I was 17 years old 10 minutes to midnight, 20 miles of straight highway from home, Dad locked the doors of the house at midnight and I was tired of sleeping in the car!

Now a days I can't remember the last time I drove over 55 mph, I get passed A LOT!!

Margie

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
Its funny because it seems Sundays are when everyone seems to speed, and on our tiny two lane road,(no room to pull over to let them pass or I would) I get a lot of people mad at me so as soon as they can they go around me when the otehr lane is clear. I figure maybe they are all late for church or something? :shrug:

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
160+ Wild youth with a '68 Roadrunner. Had 410 gears stock but I had a set of 323 that I would swap in for highway runs. Had a HP in Montana pull me over for 145 back when it was any thing reasonable and prudent. He did a quick checkover of my car and let me go no my way.

Test drove a GTX back then. Speedo went to 210 and got that up to 195 but I think it was off as the 410 gears should not have let it go that fast at the RPM it was turning. Calculated out to only 145 to 150

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,883 Posts
AAaaah, you have just tapped a family story!

On our honeymoon in 1973, hubby and I drove a red 1973 Datsun 240Z down through central Mexico, then back up the west coast, then through the mountains, and back across the desert.

In the desert of Mexico, I was driving. The road was straight and level. I got it up over 120. Then, from an arroyo on the right side of the road, comes a herd of wild burros. Yup, donkeys. Strolling from right to left across the road.

Hubby's hollering, "Hit the brakes! Hit the brakes!" I never did. I slowed slightly and threaded through the herd at about 90 mph. Never touched a hair of a burro and maintained control. One of the fun things I've ever done.

To this day, when we test drive vehicles, we warn the salesman that we will be doing the "donkey maneuver" to test the stability of the car. :baby04:

We still have the 240Z. :)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
162 in a 92 corvette and 145 on a kawasaki 900 ninja....now just about 5 or 6 over the limit :)
reason??? just to see what it would do..

·
Registered
762 Posts
My grandmother about 80 at the time was ridding with me and said she always wondered how riding at a 100 mph was and would my car go that fast. It was a 57 ford with a thunder bird interceptor motor and so away we went she said we hit 115 as she was the one watching the speedometer. After slowing down I looked at her and she had the biggest grin.

·
Registered
713 Posts
134...1991 Camaro, out at 4 am driving down I85 just below Atlanta. Thought it was "cool" that there was no traffic, so I floored to see if it would "float". It did!

Rachael

·
Registered
185 Posts
120 in my 69cutlass --bias ply tires were never the same after that.
107 in my 94 cutlass convertible
110 in my 85 f150

84mph in a boat, at 4am under a full moon, on a too small lake, what a rush.

all before I had kids, now I keep it reasonable, under 90.

·
Premium Member
6,913 Posts
Well, back around 40 or so years ago I lived Houston and would drive non-stop to my mom's, about an hour north of Indy...had a Ford Falcon and would set it at about 110 outside of Little Rock to West Memphis, then again from Memphis to Nashville. This was always 2-4 in the morning and was usually just about the only car on the road.

Couple weeks ago, DH and I went to the zoo and afterwords decided to go to a restaurant on the west side of town so hopped on a freeway...some joker decided to pace me (we were in a Tahoe and they were in some big white pick-em-up), staying right beside no matter how slow or when I speeded up. So we ended up in a spot with no traffic in front and I looked over at DH and asked, "Mind if I punch it?". He said no, so I did...we lost them at about 97, they just gave up....looked like they were backing up. We were in a good mood! :)

So, we got to the restaurant, I parked, walked around the back of the truck and started laughing so hard I couldn't talk...tears running down my face, DH asking what's so funny...I point to the mobility scooter sitting safely on the lift on the back of the truck.

Mon

1 - 20 of 43 Posts