Driving from Rochester NY to Arizona

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cygnet, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

Anyone have any tips or input they'd like to give? I'll be driving cross country with my boyfriend from Rochester to AZ (He's moving here.)

I know I-40 is quicker, but it's, um, flat. really really flat. We're going to take the scenic route. ROC to Columbus OH (have family there) and then Columbus to Denver and then to Arizona via Page to go through some of the high mountain passes. Scenic route, like I said. I don't have a problem with mountain driving. Once we're in Arizona, we're home free -- I'm a native Arizonan and know the state inside out.

Need:

Suggestions for a good place to stay, in general, between Columbus and Denver. I know I can drive Denver to Phoenix in one long day and Rochester to Columbus is about 8 hours. So I need a waypoint between Columbus and Denver to crash for the night.

And Scott's never done much cross country driving. I HAVE -- I've taken vacations where we just hopped in the car (or even solo sometimes) and just drove wherever the roads looked interesting. Ended up some pretty neat places. But I also have a really comprehensive kit in my own vehicle for breakdowns and problems along the way. Can ya'll help my brainstorm on what we need to get in his vehicle? (It's a newer Neon.) Bearing in mind some of this stuff I can't take on the flight TO rochester to meet him & we're broke!

So far I've got:

Jumper cables
    Fixaflat and a plug kit for flat tires
    Air compressor, for same (probably bring mine from my truck -- it's expensive)
    several gallons of water
    extra 5gallon container of gas
    toilet paper, soap, towels
    paper towels and windex
    warm blankets
    baby wipes
    basic tools
    red glowie light sticks (safer than flares)
    WD40
    duct tape
    baling wire
    pocketknife
    pen and paper
    maps
    CB radio (if I can find one cheap! -- mine got stolen)
    first aid kit -- I've got a really comprehensive one I use for the animals, I'll raid it for things.
    Flash lights -- big one, little one, extrabatteries

What am I forgetting? :)

2. Hermit

Hermit Active Member

Gosh, sounds like you've got just about everything. I was going to say baby wipes, but you've already got those. Maybe a pillow - those are always nice on a long trip. A book or two, maybe some books on tape from the library if the car has a tape deck. Snacks.

3. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Bring a small (but not too small cooler) to have convenient to you. If you are tight for money you could always get a foam one for a couple bucks. Buy a bag of ice (replace as needed). Keep some soft drinks or juice as well as some healthy snacks like fruit in it. Sandwich meats, etc. This provides you with flexibility in not stopping when you don't want to or else stopping for a break along a roadside reststop, etc.

Mike

4. ihedrick

ihedrick Can't stop thinkin'

Do ya by chance have a hitch on that car? I have a small pop up camper in San Diego, CA that needs to come back to the east coast (anywhere east coast). You could use it to camp out along your trip! Willing to help pay for gas!!!

5. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................from Denver , take I70 all the way to Vail ,
    ................from Vail , take H-24 south down to Salida ,
    ................from Salida , take H-50 west over to Montrose ,
    ................from Montrose , h-550 (the Million dollar hwy) down to Durango , this portion is VERY Mountainous and SLOW , starting just south of Ridgeway ALL the way down past Silverton almost to the Purgatory ski area . Try and Make reservations and stay at Ouray as it is Very Scenic and a beautiful area , even if you've been there before . From Durango you can go west thru Cortez down into Arizonia . Have Fun , fordy.. :)