Driveway wireless Alarm

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ole Man Legrand, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a wireless driveway alarm.Do you have the alarm in your house. How expensive is it. Can you have the aarm and sensor 600 feet apart.
    Thanks Jay

2. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Dont know about the distance, but that is about the same distance I would need. I know they are pretty expensive...or is that the wireless gate opener i am thinking of LOL. I will just be quiet and wait for someone to answer so I will know too! LOL

3. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Ebay has a couple listed for under $40-----not sure how good they are, but up to 400ft it says. I built one using the motion sencor off of a flood light, but it was only about 150ft away, but it worked good. Randy

4. TnAndy

TnAndy Well-Known Member Supporter

I've tried 2.....one was by Dakota Alert.....was not impressed......motion sensor type and sometimes it wouldn't pick up a UPS truck coming up the driveway. Returned it.

Next one was a GE model I found at Lowe's building supply place.....it uses magnetic to pick up, and seems to work pretty good.....It says max range of 400', and I've got it at about 400' line of sight and it works pretty dependable, so you might get more IF you have nothing to block it......even our dog walking in front of it will set it off with the small amount of metal in her collar. About 80 bucks.

Here's a site with them and couple more with longer range, but I don't know about them as far as how they work.

http://www.driveway2020.us/

5. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

6. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a dog: wireless and mobile! ;)

7. mountainman_bc

mountainman_bc Well-Known Member

Guineas, geese. No I'm not joking. There is no reason to be afraid of anyone around here though.

8. Esteban29304

Esteban29304 Well-Known Member

9. TnAndy

TnAndy Well-Known Member Supporter

No, Kenneth.....the one I used was a motion sensor type. That rubber hose deal would probably be ok. The one I used was like the URL Esteban posted......maybe they have improved them, but I tried 2 of 'em and sent both back, as they weren't reliable enough.....and the location was the same as the GE unit I have now.....about 400' clear line of sight.

Mountainmanbc: Not a matter of 'being afraid'......just a matter of knowing when someone is coming up a long drive I can't see.....gives me time to get my pants on......ahahahahaaa

10. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

I tried the DRiveway Patrol and one of the green ones. Fireants invaded both and caused them to go off repeatedly when nobody was coming up the drive.

If I was going to live here another year or so I'd add the Rubber hose accross the drive. It comes with a wireless transmitter also. Hmmm wonder if it is fireant proof :D

Kenneth in NC

11. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for this question because I've been looking into these too. I just can't hear anyone drive up unless my windows are open, and those darn dogs just bark at everything EXCEPT someone coming!

12. happybluebird

happybluebird Well-Known Member

We've had a First Alert Driveway Patrol (model #0790rx) for about a month now. It is about 400ft down the driveway. I'd really prefer it to be farther down, but it just doesn't reach that far. The part on the driveway uses a 9volt battery, and the house unit takes 3c batteries or you can use a dc 4.5 volt adapter if you have one. Dh paid 25 bucks for it on the net I think, I'll double check that for you. Good points and bad points: It does pick up anything coming down the drive which is nice. What stinks is it picks up ANYTHING that comes down the drive! LOL Last night it went off at 3am. I grabbed my cell phone, my gun, and my spotlight. Turned out to be a small cat (not one of mine they were all in the house being warm and cozy lol). But it goes off anytime a critter goes through the sensor, which is more often than I would have ever guessed. So, it can get your adrenaline pumping in the wee hours of the morn for no reason. Can't count on the dog yet, he is too young (less than a year). So at least it gives me some heads up. I REALLY wish it transmitted farther so I could put it down at the end of the drive, that would give me lots more time to get the gun out and be prepared. The alarm is wonderful during the day though, letting me know when someone is approaching before they are knocking on my door!
    Jamie

***I just checked ebay. If you type in driveway alarm you will see the one we have on there. The "as seen on TV" one. It is listed buy it now $10 with $10 shipping.