driveway monitor ?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by farminghandyman, May 20, 2005.

1. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

the county road runs right through the middle of my farm buildings, and the drive way to the shop is located such as on can not see over the hill in many situations to make sure no is coming, (fortunately the road is used little, normally less than 10 passing units in a day).
    any way I was thinking of using a driveway monitor/alarm
    to sense when some one was using the shop drive and have it turn on a flashing yellow light to warn coming traffic of danger, and also see if the county would erect a sign that says trucks entering road way, or similar,

but I was wondering if any one had had any experience with drive way alarms and what to look or or what to get,

thank-you,

this is looking like something that would work.
    http://www.autobarn.net/desodrmowlac.html

2. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

That looks like it would work. We have security cameras on our lil private road its a dead end and only 3 of us live on it. But the creepy neighbors at the end have an adult care home so we get people FLYING down our lil road all the time :grump: Our camera is set up so we can watch and see who is coming and going 24-7 we also have a motion light out there too.
    I would ask the county what they suggest heck they may foot the bill for it good luck!!

3. Pence

Pence Registered Snoozer

4. Running Arrow

Running Arrow Member

We use the Dakota Alert equipment. Very reasonably priced and reliable. It has even alerted us when a stray cow came into our front yard one time. Got cow in corral before she could destroy anything in yard. Also the D.A. equipment is a monitor "in case" one of our Longhorns gets out (accidently left a gate open...NOT).

5. littlebitfarm

littlebitfarm Scotties rule! Supporter

If you have the flashing yellow light just hook it up to a motion detector and aim it at the road. I bought one of those motion detector lights, unwired the motion detector and wired it into a fan for my horses. Only rus when they come in the barn. Your flashing yellow lights should be easy to wire up.

Kathie

6. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

thankyou for the ideas, keep them coming

7. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Something to ponder... if you set up a "traffic" device or warning light of some type, would that make you liable in any way for accidents that some might say were "caused" by it. Example. Your light works great for a year... goes out, power out etc... bam accident. "well the lights weren't on" Court case... Just a thought?

8. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

The driveway monitor is a good idea to warn yourself of oncoming traffic but I do not think it would be legal for you to put up any kind of traffic control device like a light. Maybe contact the county adnd see if something can be done by them. At the very least you should be able to get a sign that says, "Slow, Hidden Driveway" I see those quite a bit in some of our lake communities that have a lot of foliage blocking views around corners.