Driveway alarm

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ed Norman, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

We got a $15 driveway alarm from Harbor Freight. I think it is Western Safety brand. I hung it on the post by the entrance, about 75 yards from the house. The alarm is hung in the kitchen. Now whenever a car drives in, we get two beeps. It only had one hole for mounting and the wind blew it on the post, and that would make it go off all the time, so we wired it tight to the post.

The first night at about 2 it began beeping lots of times. We got up and shined the spotlight out and found a herd of mule deer headed for the strawberries. Now we chase them off every night when it beeps. Sometimes a magpie playing around a puddle will set it off, and sometimes swallows cruising by will beep it, but usually it is quiet.

And it even tells us when the people drive thru the neighbor gate, which is probably another 50 yards away. Luckily they don't use it much.

2. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

We've been thinking about getting something like this. Thanks for posting about yours.

3. roughingit

roughingit knitwit

My grandparents have one of those for their plant nursery. They live on the property so it let's them know when customers are coming. They mounted a tin can on a stick (or something like that, can't recall exactly what it is) on the opposite side of the road to break the alarm's line of sight so the fire department's parking lot doesn't set it off.

4. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

we are just now putting up fences and gates and your info is just what we needed. thanks for posting it.

5. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

We had seen them advertised for lots more money. Our house is well insulated and we don't hear cars come in. When we saw the Harbor freight ad and it was on sale, we decided to give it a try. Glad we did.

Today it is really windy and the alarm is giving lots of false beeps. We had to go tighten the wire wrapped around it. One day I plan to make a little box like a bird house and mount it solid inside there and out of the weather.

I could see one being used to guard the corn patch from deer and coons. One night it beeped when a stray cat came by. I like it.

6. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

Ed those work great till fire ants amke a home in them. Ours started going off over and over. We'd turn on the lights and see nothing. Finally I took it down and brought it inside. About 30 fire ants ran out onto the table. :eek:

There is a weatherproof box at radio shack for their ccd camera I think if i buy another one I'll put it in that box, :)

Kenneth

7. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting this! Just saved me some money building one myself!

8. iocane

iocane Active Member

I use one for a fruit stand, works great. Turned out the secret to getting it to work great was putting it in just the right place.

9. touchofgold

touchofgold Member

We work in the Texas oil fields,as gate guards use one at a gate I would kill for quite.going back to Idaho soon, never to hear that againLOL