drive-way info.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Hillbilly Don, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Hillbilly Don

Hillbilly Don Active Member

I want to build a 200' gravel drive-way between my vegetable garden and orchard,but I don't know what to edge this with to keep the gravel out of my garden and orchard. I need some economical ideas. Don

2. RANDEL

RANDEL Well-Known Member

would railroad ties be too expensive?

3. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

We used just plain old rocks from our property to edge a gravel path we built.It should be fine as long as you arrange them so there are no gaps between them for the gravel to get through.

4. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

Not an easy answer to this one. Depends on what kind of gravel you use, what your soil is like, drainage, etc. The biggest problem in most types of soil will be that the gravel disappears, straight down. Geotextile fabric will control this. Larger pieces will of course tend to drift and wash less than small pea gravel. If you have a drainage problem, the best thing to do is divert water to where the problem is manageable, then concentrate on lining the drive where the problem areas still exist and then refilling and regrading as needed. Unless you have lots of rocks, I know of no cheap and effective liner for the edges.

5. heelpin

heelpin Well-Known Member

My experience has been that the gravel will go into the ground and set-up after a little vehicle traffic and the ruts will be be a little lower with grass growing on the outside edges holding the gravel in place.

HP