Drip tape

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by BobK, Apr 27, 2005.

1. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

Anyone here using drip tape for irrigation? If yes how do you like it and how large is the coverage area for each run of tape.....width of watering?

2. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

I have used drip tape in my garden for 3 years. My runs are over 100 feet long, I have a limited water supply so I can only water 2 hours. I have a one horse pump and have to pump water 300 feet uphill. I can irrigate 10 to 15 runs or 1000 to 1500 feet of row. If I let it run that long it will spread about 6 inches on each side of the row. I bought the thinnest drip tape I could find and it has lasted 3 years. Make sure that you put a filter/sand trap in the line or else your drip emitters will plug.

Bobg

3. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

I am a firm believer in drip irrigation. I have used both drip tape and drip lines with emitters punched in at the spacing I chose.

I purchased "T-Tape" in 4100 foot rolls to save on costs. Each row I have used it on is 200 feet in length. In my sandy soil the water only shows to about 3 inches on each side of the tape. The water pattern below ground does form somewhat of a teardrop pattern getting wider as it goes down. It works very well. T-Tape has somewhat of a non plugging feature to it as water moves through kind of a squiggle pattern.

The drip lines are great for rows that have the crops spaced further apart such as tomatoes on 5 foot spacings. I just popped in an emitter wherever their was a plant. This method keeps water from the weeds and only uses water directly at the plant.

The sand filters I have can also be loaded with a fertilizer stick to fertigate as watering is done.

A good place to start is to see what all is available. One catalog available is from http://www.dripworks.com/

4. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

This will be our third year using the tape. We get it in 5,000 ft rolls from Sprinkler World in Tucson. You can get the holes different spacing apart. There is a heavy duty one also. Make sure you put the holes facing up; the local guy said it doesn't matter the first year but it does! Our rows are 100 ft long. DH fashioned a manifold with 7 lines on each. These are connected to a faucet and we have about 10 of those. We did mounds the second year; the water ends up at the bottom of the row and weeds grow. This year we will just lay them flat.

5. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies! We have been using drip irrigation for a long-time (20 years +) and in the past we've used the E2 emitters (they can be taken apart to clean if they plug) to all manner of sprayers.....I think we tried it all...except drip tape. We bought a 1000 ft roll and want to use it in the garden.....However, we have to garden in wirelined raised beds to keep the gophers at bay and we aren't sure that the drip tape will be as effective in irrigating the raised bed as compared to a row crops. Thanks again and we'll let you know how it works out.