Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone any advice about what kind of emitters to use for different kind of vegetables. I tend to plant a whole bed of one vegetable, such as beets, onions, garlic, carrots ( every 4 inches covering entire bed.) kind of like square foot gardening.

What do you do about rotating crops? Do you change the emitters?

I have about 12 raised beds, plus the corn and squash areas, orchard and berries, I also have watering fatigue and would like to spend the garden energy on something besides moving the hose.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not sure where you are located but take a look at this company for irrigation needs. https://www.berryhilldrip.com/

They are very helpful in designing a system or answering your question. I use them for my drip system in the field. They also have systems for raised beds and orchards type systems.

·
My name is not Alice
4,185 Posts
I used kits purchased from the place mentioned by PB. I used the 1/8 line with built-in emitters. I have both styles of line that have 6" and. (12?) inch spacing. I don't have/need any special drip or spray emitters.

More info that you didn't ask for:

I have about 50 beds arranged in a 4x12 grid, plus other non-raised beds. I ran a single 1/2 supply line from the hydrant down the middle of the garden. Using T's and 4-way splitters, I fanned out down each row of beds. This formed the main line. (Actually have two separate systems, but that is beside the point)

At each bed, I tapped into the main line and fed 1/2 in line up through the corner of each bed. From there, added an elbow and shutoff and another short 1/2 inch piece across the width of the bed. 2,3 or 4 drip lines where tapped at each bed and ran the length of the bed.

The choice of how many lines & what drip line was made based on what was planted in that bed the first year. Reconfiguring each year is a trivial and easy task.

I didn't buy special terminators for the 1/2 inch lines. Simply folding back the ends and zip tying works well.

To winterize, I remove the zip ties and a few key splitters to drain the system.

They sell little wire hooks to hold down the lines. I did not find them particularly helpful, or necessary.

2014 was such an amazing year that I never even bothered to un-winterize my system. But that first year, I saved DW 2+ hours a day of watering. That alone made the investment worth it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts