Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I was just thinking, I imagine this would be the best/most conservative & effective use of water. Is it expensive to install? Could a do-it-yourselfer do it? I love projects and am capable of doing things that aren't too complicated, what all is involved in using this irrigation method?

·
Retired farmer-rancher
3,021 Posts
A good website for information and supplies for drip irrigation is www.digcorp.com . I started doing some drip irrigation this year and its not all that difficult to do yourself and is a great way to get the water where it is needed without a lot of wasted water. You don't say what you are irrigating but I think it can be adapted to most situations. I am using it on a shrub border and if it works in this dry part of Kansas , it should work anywhere. I am already making plans and accumulating drippers to put in some more.

·
Registered
785 Posts
We have 4 different drip systems that can be turned on individually or all at the same time. They perimeter the front yard and get all the roses and trees, then a different set for the garden and the fruit trees. It's really easy to put together.

Every year, the garden setup is a little different. So we have individual turnoffs for each raised bed. When the new plants go in, it can be reconfigured in just a little time. They can also be hooked up to a timer.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have used drip on 7 acres of row crops, and automatic sprinklers in the green houses. It is not hard to do and you will be putting the water on the plant, and not in the middle of the row where weeds get the benifit from the water. So in the long run, less weeding. You can even feed through the drip lines, a big time saver.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
...for us drip tape runs about $0.02 per linear foot...with additional costs for the poly pipe, fittings, and pressure reducer.....all told for about 800-1000 ft of drip tape I use a $10 pressure reducer and about $15 for the drip tape fittings.....poly pipe is $20 for 1000ft......drip emitters run about 7-10 cents apiece depending on type you purchase.......drip is cheap...works...and is a big time saver!!!

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
I have used both tubing and emitters and Tee Tape with built in emitters. Both have their place and work well.

I like the catalog from this company and they carry both. http://www.dripworksusa.com/

The Tee Tape brand of drip tape is quite reasonable when purchased in quantity.

Storage of either style of drip system is the biggest drawback. Getting water where you want it rather than everywhere is a real water saver.

As others stated it also saves on weeding.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow, thanks for all the great input! I think I'll definitely be looking into drip irrigation... if it saves time energy & $$ in the long run I think it's totally worth it...

·
Registered
912 Posts
One of the issues can be soil type and water quality. For instance, heavy clay soil can plug T tape. Heavy sediment can also plug lines so a appropriate filter may be necessary.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm... the soil is quite loamy if I recall correctly, it's actually really good quality up there. I'd have to ask my neighbor what he uses, they are organic farmers and so I might just have to check out what they do. Course, their kids are grown and mine's 9 months old so there's a difference in the labor aspect lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts