Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last few days, I've been making it a point to drink at least 48 ounces of water during the day+ a cup of coffee+ at least a tall glass of iced tea in the evening+ there is an insulated mug of ice water on my night stand.

I can't believe how much better I feel!

Of course, there are the many speedy trips :rainprf: because I also take two diuretics, but it is well worth it.

I never realized that it is true that, as we age, we lose our thirst gauge. I bet that I would easily not drink more than two glasses of water and not realize it.

I see that my skin has improved too and my arms aren't wrinkley.

·
Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK
3,306 Posts
Me too!!! I am doing the same thing!

I can't believe the difference in how I feel.

I have no feeling of thirst. I confuse it with hunger, or tired.

I'm 60 now. But I've always had this problem.

DRINK WATER!!!!

·
Registered
948 Posts
I usually have more than 80 oz. of water a day, which sounds excessive until I take into account the gallon of coffee (probably more, in truth) and all those dehydrating cigarettes. I'm sure no one will be surprised, then, when I say that despite all the water I don't feel particularly young & vibrant!

I do believe very strongly in the health benefits of water, and oxygen too. (I know, I know, the cigarettes, always with the cigarettes.......)

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
Ardie/WI said:
For the last few days, I've been making it a point to drink at least 48 ounces of water during the day+ a cup of coffee+ at least a tall glass of iced tea in the evening+ there is an insulated mug of ice water on my night stand.

I can't believe how much better I feel!

Of course, there are the many speedy trips :rainprf: because I also take two diuretics, but it is well worth it.

I never realized that it is true that, as we age, we lose our thirst gauge. I bet that I would easily not drink more than two glasses of water and not realize it.

I see that my skin has improved too and my arms aren't wrinkley.
I have heard this a bajillion times from a plethora of doctors and other sources, but I can't help it. It just seems totally unnatural to me to drink that much water. I can't help but think that when all humanity was living under primitive conditions that they spent the better part of their day hanging out by the river/pond/etc., drinking water. Rather, like many other creatures, they ventured to the "drinking hole" only when their thirst motivated them to do so.

donsgal

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
I go through a minimum of 2 gallons per day, more if outside working. Of course I have a wet tee shirt constantly, but this is Florida. At 8:15 last night I was sweating like playing football in the afternoon.

My thirst sense has not went away, in fact its one of those hidden fears, dying of thirst. There will always be a container of some fluid within my reach at all times.

·
Registered
31,752 Posts
donsgal said:
I have heard this a bajillion times from a plethora of doctors and other sources, but I can't help it. It just seems totally unnatural to me to drink that much water. I can't help but think that when all humanity was living under primitive conditions that they spent the better part of their day hanging out by the river/pond/etc., drinking water. Rather, like many other creatures, they ventured to the "drinking hole" only when their thirst motivated them to do so.

donsgal
Donsgal, I think I agree. I've really tried to drink a lot of water & just can't do it.

How long did it take the rest of you to start feeling better after starting to drink a lot?

Patty

·
Registered
264 Posts
I drink alot of raspberry ice tea. Does that count?
I just can't drink plain water if I'm not really thirsty. I have to have lemon or something else with some taste in it. That being said, a tall glass of lemon ice tea sounds really wonderful right now!

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
Putting some ice in the water, makes it easier to drink.

·
Premium Member
15,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A slice of lemon or lime or both is great in a glass of cold water. So is a slice of an orange.

Personally, I drink filtered water. Roger doesn't mind our well water but I just can't seem to drink as much as I do filtered water.

BTW, I'm over the 48 ounce mark today.

For me, I pour the filtered water in a 24 ounce bottle and keep it in the refrigerator. When it's empty, I fill it again from the filtered jug in the refrigerator.

Oh another idea. I fill bottle half full of filtered water and keep them in the freezer. When we go somewhere or just outside, I fill the rest up with water. It stays nice and cold on a hot day like today.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Water gives you better skin, takes away a lot of the achy - ness in joints, flushes toxins from the body, improves regularity(?sp), plain makes you healthier inside and out.
Adding ice :rolleyes: , citrus, mint and balm leaves and berry juices helps some to drink more.

·
keep it simple and honest
3,809 Posts
Tea and coffee are supposed to be diuretics, so they don't count...maybe negatively?
I think it only takes about a day to feel better. If I have a dry day, I feel terrible the next so have to make up for it. Then about 24 hours later, I'll feel better again.
Ann

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I agree Ardie i feel alot better when I drink alot of water.. I've been adding crystal light packets to mine, and makes drinking water alot better for me.. plain water gets a little boring after awhile, I have lemon flavor, strawberry lemonade, and another one there pretty good..
And my daughter loves drinking them, hey i say if that makes her drink more water rather then pop then it's not to bad.

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
A half Gallon of Cranberry Juice A day, And At least A gallon of water, Oh and I have LOST quite A bit of weight too. I guess The water helps flush the system better than I knew...

·
Premium Member
15,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
james dilley said:
A half Gallon of Cranberry Juice A day, And At least A gallon of water, Oh and I have LOST quite A bit of weight too. I guess The water helps flush the system better than I knew...
Yes, James, I bet you have lost weight. Juat running to the restroom is good exercise :D .

Seriously, I haven't eating as much since I'm drinking water like this. I wonder it isn't like someone mentioned ina post--that we mistake being thirsty for being hungry or tired!

·
Black Cat Farm
1,357 Posts
If a person's thirst response declines as they get older, I'm in big trouble - I've never really had one. Many times, by the time I feel thirsty, it's way too late and I'm lightheaded and nauseous.

DH, on the other hand, downs a gallon or more a day and gets outright cranky if he runs out of water for more than a half hour. Fortunately, he stays after me to stay hydrated, too.

I have noticed that sometimes I think I feel hungry, but if I have a glass of water and wait for a few minutes, it turns out I was just thirsty. And I too feel much better in general on days I remember to make a point to stay hydrated.

Now I'd better go fill up my "daily requirement" jug. Thanks for the reminder, Ardie!

·
Registered
10,845 Posts
Dent deLion: Please don't blame it all on the cigarettes.

The gallon of coffee you are drinking is dehydrating rather than hydrating your body. Not to say what the caffine is doing.

Please examine your addiction to both for your health.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I found that drinking a gallon of water a day really wakes your body up and makes everything work better inside. The hard part is sticking to the thought of drinking lots of water, because once you cut back you can really tell a difference in the way you feel. It does aid in weight loss. . .if only I could remember to drink that much a day!

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
A related story:

http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSN2620706220070726

NEW YORK (Reuters) - PepsiCo Inc. will spell out that its Aquafina bottled water is made with tap water, a concession to the growing environmental and political opposition to the bottled water industry.

-------

Just another reason I like to drink water infused with hops and malted barley.
The realization that swimming yeast tinkled in the pool doesn't bother me too much.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts