Drinking Water Question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mossback, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Mossback

Mossback New Member

Most of our household water comes off the roof and into a cistern. We've been buying bottled water but the time has come to cut that expense.
    I'm wondering if anyone has a drinking water system they recommend? I'm thinking of a Berkely or some sort of countertop filter/cooler.

Thanks,

Mossback

2. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Berkeys are excellent water systems, but a lot depends on the type of roof the water is coming off of. Most filters do not handle sediment very well, you might have to have a 2 filter system first for sediment, second for other stuff in the water.

3. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I got a huge Brita with a spigot that I keep in the fridge. I'm kind of shocked --- I honestly didn't expect it to do the job --- but it's great! :)

I think goatlady's right, though --- you're probably going to have to go through two systems, esp. because of the sediment. However, for something inexpensive, I'm shocked but the Brita is great.

4. Mossback

Mossback New Member

We do have a whole house sediment filter already. I just want to kill bacteria from bird doo doo, etc. Our roof is fiberglass shingles, 10 yrs old.

5. OD

OD Well-Known Member

We have an Aqua Rain (same principle as Berkey) that we have had 5 years & I love it. I run 3 or 4 gallons a day through it & am still using the original filters. They need cleaning about every 3 months. My SIL has one & is on city water & only has to clean her filters every 6 months. They are great!!

6. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

We have used the Aqua Rain at our homestead. It is fantastic. We have never santized our hand-dug well, we just purify the water, as we are only there 8 days a month, during warm weather months. The key to it's water production is to keep the upper chamber filled with water to be purified, and to draw off purified water from the tap at equal intervals.

7. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I think I would go with one of those systems that pulls out chemicals with a filter system and charcoal and disinfects with ultra violet. If your water is running across fiberglass shingles it is picking up a lot of chemicals. Even distilling will not remove all of them as some are more volatile than water.

8. Just thinking outside of the box here, but why not drive a well yourself for drinking water? Most areas in Ohio have relatively shallow water. If your water is not too deep you might be able to drive a well for very little, and it may be fit to drink right out of the ground.

Take a look at this link for driven well costs and instructions.

http://www.fdungan.com/well.htm

The entire well (including casing) may be only a couple hundred dollars, with any luck.

9. dla

dla Well-Known Member

I am no expert, but since the Aqua Rain filter is a ceramic filter, it seems to me that you wouldn't be able to improve on the cleanliness of the water much.
    In other words, the same thing that makes well water safe to drink - i.e. the fact that it has settled through the porous rocks and has therefore been filtered - makes your ceramic-filtered water safe as well.

It is not fast - it is best to fill it at night (Holds about two gallons in my model), Fill gallon jugs in the A.M., and refill the thing right away to get the most water out of the thing.

I got mine from the folks at www.lovetolearn.net along with some emergency supplies.

OD, glad to hear yours has run for five years, since the replacement filters cost more than half the cost of the unit.

But I figure that if it gives us water for six months, it will pay for itself.

Good luck Mossback!

Deb

10. First ,go to your health dept. and have your water tested.Once you find out what needs to be filtered out you will know more about the kind you need to buy. State of Misery(Mo.)