Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goats must be part camel because they go for 1 or 2 days without drinking much water and then they drink it all or at least the bowl is dry. I top it off every morning and night so it isn't just running out. Possibly there is something about the heated bowl causes the water to evaporate once the water level gets below a certain point.

Does anyone else have goats that do this?

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Yeah my girls seem to go in spurts. Everyone is dry but they dont seem to come out of the shelter when there's snow on the ground to drink, they either eat snow or catch drippings.
The water is always topped off with a few buckets hot 2-3 times a day so they must be getting more than I think.

·
Thinking up a great tag
696 Posts
I had read somewhere or other that goats are very very good at utilizing what water they drink.

I've noticed it with my own tiny herd also- some days they don't seem to drink anything at all, other days I find their bowl bone dry at close-up.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I had a mini buck that I would swear hardly ever drank water. on the hottest days there might be a few inches gone from his bucket. it was bizarre. I just gave him fresh everyday in case he ever decided to drink. one summer they all got in in their head that they would only drink from one particular bucket for a while and they sucked that one dry and then came running and screaming when I turned the hose on and drank and drank out of it as if they didn't have 4 other buckets with full fresh water sitting right there beside it. makes me feel like a bad goat mom. like I am depriving them of water. how cruel of me that I don't provide 3 yellow buckets instead of only 1. dummys.

I think I read of an experiment at ?langston? where they deprived goats of water to find the effects. I think it continued for something like 7 or 10 days the goats never showed any ill effects and they just finally gave them water. of course they weren't measuring any milk or gain losses.

·
Premium Member
16,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've noticed that in the summer too. I let them out most evenings and they could drink from the ponds but during the day they were in a dry pasture. Most days they never touched their water bucket. I think they were just drinking in the evening or getting most of their water from the plants.

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Mine are doing it too. At first I thought they were just eating snow and thus had no interest in my water bucket. But then I moved some girls into the ******* shack and they couldn't get water but they still only have interest every 2nd or 3rd day

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
If you milked goats you would be freaking out if they didn't drink water. No water no milk. A milker will get dehydrated quickly really going 2 or 3 days without water. Even though our pasture grass is wet and full of dew most of the time with our humidity they still drink alot of water.

Make sure the container is clean, not just look clean but smells clean, my does will not drink out of the same containers our hogs do, I got them mixed up one time at cleaning. So give your containers a good scrubbing and like I told my children...if you won't drink out of the water you expect the goats to, than fix it. My kids have drank alot of nasty water from not cleaning their own goats waterer. Vicki

1 - 7 of 7 Posts