Drilling your own well

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sancraft, Dec 15, 2004.

1. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever used one of those drills you purchase from the back of a magazine to drill their own well? I found some pretty raw land yesterday, but there is no water source, i.e. creek, spring, etc. and no county water so I would need a well. A bored well in GA is risky. But, we really wanted some water on the property. I was wondering how labor intensive it is the drill your own well with one of those machines, and if anyone has one, would they be willing to rent it and/or their services to me to drill my well?

2. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

How was a well dug before? Did you just have to get out a shovel and dig 40 feet down?

3. ed/IL

ed/IL Well-Known Member

Here is a good site with a question and answer section. Perhaps a driven well will work for you. http://www.fdungan.com/well.htm Water well help line.

4. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

We bought land in a neighboring area, and getting water is a problem.

The neighbors tried drilling for water, but the hole failed. So, they use a cistern, instead.

To figure out how much water will go into the cistern, figure out how many square feet are on the roof, and then figure on 1" if rain.

Figure out how many square inches of water that will give you, and look up how many square inches are in a gallon of water to give you the number of galons available from a 1" rain fall.

Then look up how many gallons a day you are currently using by looking at your water bill. That should tell you how many inches of rainfall a month you need to run your household.

OF course, out here you can put a large tank in the back of your pickup and buy a fill up from the water company. That gets cistern-users by during times of drougth. They just buy water, and then drain the tank of water into the cistern.

5. designer

designer Well-Known Member

6. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..................sancraft , why don't you run an ad in the RE-Wanted section and advertise for a piece of land ...With an old well or an existing well?? You might find a piece of land , that already....has water. Just a thought , fordy... :)

7. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Have you determined the spot you will have the well drilled (or dug)?
    I successfully witched the spot where I wanted a well and there was plenty of water flow at 110ft.
    A surface well that was already on the premise only about 15ft. deep but it dried down often (which is why a new well was dug for more flow).
    So, it matters where you place the well, and how far down you may need to go, and how much water you would need.

8. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

Back in the mid-1970s we bought a DeepRock well drilling outfit, and drilled a 30+ foot well through limestone for our first house. Then some friends used it to drill a 100+ foot well, and then a 3rd well, and then we sold the outfit to someone to drill their well. It worked fine for us and our friends. We found that we needed quite a bit of water to run down the hole around the bit when drilling, and if we would have had some of the clay that they sell now to provide some sealing while drilling, it wouldn't have (maybe) used so much water.
    I have friends that get all of their water for themselves, their sheep and chickens, and their garden by collecting it from the roofs of their buildings, and that is something that I would consider if I were building new.

Jim