Drill bit sharpening

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by moopups, May 15, 2006.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Have done it by hand over the years but eyesight is not holding up, so today I unpacked enough to find my handy-dandy bit sharpening set up. Its cast aluminum, swivels on an adjustable stem base to arch the clamped bit to a grind stone. Primitive but works.

I want to create a dedicated set up that will last the rest of my life, do you think a sewing machine motor would be heavy enough to keep a small stone rotating? The biggest load that would ever by on it is half of a 1 inch bit's cutting face. The standard size of sewing machine motors shaft is 1/4 inch, does anyone make a stone with such a small hole?

2. sleeps

sleeps east texas dark egg layer

drill doctor makes a bit sharpener, i have one some where if ur interested.

3. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I had the same problem as you and bought a Drill Doctor.
    I have one of those swivel drill bit sharpeners somewhere. If you rig it up you might want to use an arbor and belt. They make a special stone that is made to be ground upon the side for those.

4. NJ Rich

NJ Rich NJ Rich

General Tool www.generaltool.com makes a drill grinding devise that is installed along side a grinding wheel. It is Number 825 Drill Grinding Attachment @ $24.47.

I have used it to sharpen high speed drills up to 1" with great success. Very small drills, less than 1/8th inch, are a little tricky to sharpen. I have had less success sharpening them.

Someone makes a special "side grinding stone" make specifically to sharpen on its sides. I have had trouble locating one. Although I wouldn't recommened it, I have used regular grinding stone that were fairly new and ground bits on the side. You should be taking very small grinds at a time. If your drill is chipped try to slowly hand grind the material away until the chip is ground off. Don't burn the steel. When drilling you will know a bit is ground properly when the spue comes off both sides of the bit and are the same size.

I have picked up many drill bits other people have thrown away because they were dull. That is just money in my pocket. It doesn't take long to save the cost of new bits and pay for this attachment.

If anyone finds a source for the side grinding wheels please let me know. Most of the ones I have seen on the web weren't the proper type wheel. Surprisingly General Tool didn't list one for use with the attachment.

5. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

I made a toolpost grinder to go on a lathe, using a sewing machine motor. I used it to make quite a few chambering reamers for rifles. You can't lug the motor, but it cuts just fine with a lighter feed. My stones were in the range from 3/4" to a thin 2.5".

The first sewing machine repair shop I tried, gave me a motor and footswitch from a big box full. I picked a motor with an all metal housing and he made sure it ran before I left. I think I threaded the motor shaft, but can't recall for sure. Anyway, it will sork for a small grinder for drill bits.

I have a Drill Doctor and it works fair. Not great.

6. ericjeeper

ericjeeper Well-Known Member

bought one a few years back.. I absolutely love it.. I bought the second adapter that goes from half to 3/4 .. it will sharpen a few different options of bits and carbide masonry bits too.. and will even put a back cut on a bit.

7. tallpaul

tallpaul Well-Known Member

I bought a drill doctor and found a deal on a commercial sharpener I got it like new for 50.00 and they go for over 600.00 I find the drill doctor quick and easy and compared to the dull bits- a Godsend!

8. Esteban29304

Esteban29304 Well-Known Member

I have a Drill Dr., too, [ about $75 new] & have been very pleased. Took a little bit [ pun] to get used to, but I can sharpen bits very quickly with it, now. Sometimes, I sharpen bits for others in trade for items/services I need. I have charged $0.25/bit to sharpen for others & made a few $$ with it. I good investment for bits, UP TO 1/2".