Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
emergency essentials has number ten cans of dried fuji apples on sale for 13.99,

has anyone ever tried them and if so how did you serve them? I am assuming that this is a good buy, usually they are 19.99.

thanks

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
they would be good stewed or reconstituted and used in a pie.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I have not used this particular brand, but I dehydrate my own and have purchased other brands as well.

My kids like to eat them straight out of the package or mixed with nuts, raisins, cheerios and pretzels as a snack mix. I use them for pie, apple cake, and I add them to oatmeal. I have made my own "instant" oatmeal by mixing oatmeal, dried apples, spices, chopped walnuts, sugar, dry milk and a dash of salt in a canister. I make other flavors too, but my son really likes the apple one.

I bet they would be delicious in stuffing, rice pilaf or hydrated and mixed with spices to coat pork for roasting.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My 4 yr old lives on apples - so I bought a bunch and plan to dehydrate this week...other than, peel, slice and dip in lemon juice...is there anything else to it? Or is it really about that simple? (Sorry for the questions...not done much dehydrating before) :)

·
Registered
742 Posts
Instead of dipping in lemon juice I dip my in a bowl of water with a crushed vitamin c tablet. It worked out to be cheaper for me. Also you can dip the apples in cinnamon and sugar before you dehydrate.

·
plains of Colorado
4,176 Posts
My niece gave us dried apples for xmas. She didn't even peel them. I soaked them & made apple crisp that was great!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I second the vote about using a crushed vit C. I had a bottle of vit C this summer that was outdated, but it was still potent enough to keep my apple slices nice and white for the dryer.
I don't even peel the apples, I like the look and taste of them with the peels on. I just slice and core into the water and vit C mixture, then spread on the racks and dry.

·
Registered
62 Posts
hmmm..good suggestions. I think I'll have to experiment! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
manygoatsnmore, I dehydrated a bit over a bushel of apples, maybe 45#, to ship to a friend. I didn't weigh the peels and cores but the dried slices themselves weighed just over 7# and could have fit into a #10 can if packed fairly well.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
What is the amount of Vit C you put into the water? Explain that process for me.

id appreciate it if someone could explain this to me as well, ive never dryed anything but plan to start and apples would be right up my ally, and bannanas love bannana chips.

thanks
dean

·
Pragmatist
2,092 Posts
You could also just buy a bag of ascorbic acid (Vit C) and use that. It's the same as Fruit Fresh, but in bulk, you can find it cheaper.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts